Thread: Edisto 40

Default Edisto 40

Made it to the 40 on Sunday after the seas finally died down after 3 days. First time out there so we fished basic squid on the bottom and caught nothing but sharks. My question is how to avoid just catching the sharks and how to try to target BSB, etc. Should I change spots, baits, rig, etc.? PMs please.
    Jesco White is an American Hero.

Someone may have a better suggestion but I have found the only way is to move and try to get a way from them!
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Find some structure that isn't fished out. Lots of live bottom and ledges out there, get a map and find them. Bank bass, grunts and trash fish cut up make better bait than squid on chicken rigs. Use jigs and tipped bucktails but don't be suprised if you catch an AJ or 20 like that too.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Turn the gain up on your depth finder

Pro tip there from Saltydog235. Seems the jigs and bucktails will bring generally catch larger bass.

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Also get off the bottom a couple of cranks. Little fish hold to the bottom while the bigger ones seem to suspend a little higher. If you start catching banks, you're off the structure, keep them for bait but move back and restart the drift.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Much obliged Salty! Will be a few weeks before I can get back down to give it another whirl. Geez I live too far away from the damn coast
    Jesco White is an American Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerra2 View Post
    Geez I live too far away from the damn coast
    i know the feeling

Quote Originally Posted by bakerra2 View Post
    Much obliged Salty! Will be a few weeks before I can get back down to give it another whirl. Geez I live too far away from the damn coast
    Hell, I live about 1.5 miles from the beach and 1 mile from the Waccamaw and I still don't get to fish that much. Family and work aren't much different than living in that upstate place.

find the nastiest structure u can on your depf-finder and mark it with a floating marker. hard to hang an anchor when it's rough out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Hell, I live about 1.5 miles from the beach and 1 mile from the Waccamaw and I still don't get to fish that much. Family and work aren't much different than living in that upstate place.
    add weather to that equation and it's pretty tough to schedule a trip.

live menhaden drifted over the structure were the ticket to bigger fish on our last bottom excursion

I hit the Edisto 60 last Thursday and had a hard time positioning over structure due to swells, current, and wind.... managed a single pinfish off the bottom, which produced a nice 30+ lb barracuda when free lined on a wire leader. Then it got dicey for my 19 foot boat and we headed back in.

The sonar profile of the sunken ship was impressive....
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Exhibit A .... these things 'll run you ragged on getting the fish to the top.

WTF did you bring that stinking ass thing back to the dock for?

Knock on wood, we haven't been menaced by those sea wolves yet this year.

I regretted it later... but there were some kids back on the island that I knew would want to see it.

That is one of the biggest inshore cudas I have ever seen!

We catch BSB, snapper and grouper on Berkeley Gulp shaped like a crab or squid. Jig it on the reef using a Carolina rig with a fluorocarbon leader.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csc_Salas.htm

6x heavy Irons or a heavier one. the scrambled egg or bird shit pattern ORRRR the white jigs with the glow pattern on the back work awesome.. put 2 fresh deads or if you can get live squid use them instead, on to the treble hook and drop to the bottom... crank 5 times and standbye..

all these irons are work awesome out here on the left coast... why we dont use them back home i dont know... esp. the surface irons for schooling fish.. damn good time!