Thread: .357 sig v .40 s&w

Default .357 sig v .40 s&w

From a caliber and ballistics point of view, which would you carry? Not interested in the availability or expense of ammunition argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

You can have both if you buy a Glock 23. The 357 Sig barrel fits right into the 40cal frame and the clips work for both calibers. I believe the 357 Sig barrel costs around $90 at gun shows.
    Last edited by Fish; 06-08-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    You can have both if you buy a Glock 23. The 357 Sig barrel fits right into the 40cal frame and the clips work for both calibers. I believe the 357 Sig barrel costs around $90 at gun shows.
    Similar situation. I have a Sig P250 that came with both barrels.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Ballistics are similar so to me that's a toss up. The ammo situation for me is that 90-95% of the rounds that I shoot are handloads. For handguns, a straight wall case is always going to be easier to work with than a bottle neck design. Add to that the .40 makes a little bit bigger hole and it would get the nod IMO. But like Fish said get a platform that supports both calibers with the change of a barrell. I have a Berreta that is 9 and 40 and love that gun. 9's for plinking and 40 for deterrence.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Fish called a magazine a "clip"

kind of ironic.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

The .357 is a lot louder but is pretty potent. I would still rather have the .40.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post

Fish called a magazine a "clip"

kind of ironic.
    I was thinking the same thing!

3-5-7 MAG
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

I have a 40 I will trade you for a 357mag
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the 357 SIG. The muzzle blast and recoil is stiffer than a 40, and the ammunition selection is not quite as good. They are hard to get rid of if you get tired of it and are trying to sell it, too.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I know where a slug of LEO trade in Sig P226 Twotones in 357 Sig are residing. Outstanding condition. $599.00. Two magazines and Trijicon Night sights.

FWIW, Texas DPS loves the .357 Sig. Bottleneck design of the cartridge makes it extremely reliable in semiautos. Round selection seems to me to be adequate- 125 grain JHPs at 1400FPS. What else do you need in a handgun round??

Personally, I am not a 40 S&W fan- it's the solution to a non existant problem.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Ain't nothing wrong with 40 S&W, but I am still a fan of the 45 Auto, and even the 9mm. Hit 'em right with a 9mm and a good bullet, and he's just as stopped.

Word is a lot of PD's are going from 40 S&W back to 9mm - their people shoot better with 9.

I've given this a lot of thought, and my next gun purchase will be a S&W M&P in either 9mm or, more likely, 45 ACP.

I'd carry my Browning Hi-Power or Colt Government Model, but department policy prohibits anything except DAO/no exernal safety.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I'll stick with. 45acp in my bottomfeeders.

The. 357ammo is hard to find around these parts unless you mail order.

Switching barrels between. 40&.357 seems cool, but the sights may muck up your poi & poa.