Thread: Santee...

Default Santee...

So im going to santee the weekend with the family and thought i'd try to catch some brimps and bass while i was there. Are they up around grass/trees or have they went deep already? Any help would be much apreciated.
    It's always High Tide in the High Tide

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

There will still be some fish shallow, but it is getting tough. for me at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Wait til next march or april then your kid will one day say man I remember when santee was on fire and it took 20+ to get a check....

Bream will be shallow until September.

Right now, look for the beds.
    Most of them have moved off, but they will be close by (within 40ft or so) in the nearest deeper water, and they will be really hungry from being stuck in one spot for over a week. There were some late starting shellcracker still setting along the riverbank.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post
    Wait til next march or april then your kid will one day say man I remember when santee was on fire and it took 20+ to get a check....
    in march and april, you can say 29+ or 30+. Santee had a terrific year. Over the past few years, including this year, I have seen March and early April tourneys where 22lbs wouldn't cut a check. Dats a fact.

rekon all the eel grass could be responsible for this art? its taken a strong hold on the lower end of the upper lake from what i seen over the weekend. im no pro bass fisherman, but at night under the big lights it damn sure looks fishy.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 05-26-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    There will still be some fish shallow, but it is getting tough. for me at least.
    X2

If you're trying to put your kids on some fish I'd stick to the bream and shellcracker. Find some lily pads with deeper water nearby and fish the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    rekon all the eel grass could be responsible for this art? its taken a strong hold on the lower end of the upper lake from what i seen over the weekend. im no pro bass fisherman, but at night under the big lights it damn sure looks fishy.
    Not a pro either but I don't think the eel grass is as good as the hydrilla and stuff that used to be in the lake. That being said it's damn sure better than nothing. The best thing about it is it gives the fry an open water spot to hide. You can ease through it with the TM and see them going everywhere.

I don't know. I have only caught a few out of it, and that was last year. I think the native vegetation, high water, 5 fish limit, and 14" limit have all helped. None more than the native vegetation and acceptable lake levels in spring, imo.

I am anxious to figure out how and where to catch em out the eel grass, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Not a pro either but I don't think the eel grass is as good as the hydrilla and stuff that used to be in the lake. That being said it's damn sure better than nothing. The best thing about it is it gives the fry an open water spot to hide. You can ease through it with the TM and see them going everywhere.
    +178

That is one of the big keys of vegetation and decent lake levels imo.

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    I don't know. I have only caught a few out of it, and that was last year. I think the native vegetation, high water, 5 fish limit, and 14" limit have all helped. None more than the native vegetation and acceptable lake levels in spring, imo.

I am anxious to figure out how and where to catch em out the eel grass, though.
    you gotta look for sandy depressions within the big fields of eel grass. i dont know how good a trolling motor goes through that stuff but my kicker motor goes right through it no problem. in the summer months, i will ride through 100 yards of thick eel grass to get to a small 1/8th acre depression devoid of grass, and you can bet your bottom dollar. there will be big catfish, carp, bass, shellcrackers, and any other fish in those little areas... the trick is locating the depressions....

Thanks fellas for the help. I was gonna try the bass first thing while the kids are still asleep. Maybe we'll luck up and catch a few. Thanks again.

Thanks for the invite Baybuster, i had a busy weekend anyway!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So, do you buy your women too, or just your ducks?

upper or lower lake?
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

I went out mid-morning today and caught one mudfish that was about 7 lbs off a texas rig worm. Some of the guys i've talked to up here said i need to fish a sinko and a pop r/buzzbait in early morning and late evenings. Haven't tried the brimps yet but will be after them later in the day. I also had big blue cat that had to be at least 40lbs come smimming up to my boat, but by the time i got my phone out to take a pic he darted off. If i get on them i'll try to post some pics. Thanks guys for your suggestions and help. Looks like ima need all i can get.