Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Darla Moore replaced as Trustee

she needs to donate some money to our dental school so tuition can come on down

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    I agree with that statement but she GAVE 70 MILLION DOLLARS TO USC, hey we will let her be a board member at CLEMSON anytime she wants
    No we won't.

Board makes decisions for the university, just cause you got money to burn doesn't mean you're the eat qualified for the position.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

As DT noted-- Darla knew the rules when she chose who to back....

Flip side of that coin is The Gubna knew the rules when she made the choice to replace her so she can deal with the whining masses and the pissed off voters and legislators...

Welcome to SC Good Ole Boy (and Girl) Politics in all of its pathetic painful glory.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Our Members include Doctors, lawyers, and an honest to God Indian Chief Mechanics, students, lawmakers, lawbreakers, professional athletes, bums, and God help us Government employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Darla would fit right in with Clemson's mission. She would love to help the university get in the top 20 and attain the elite status. She would love to see the smartest out of staters gain admission. The university loves to see the extra income from out of state tuition.

Just remember I told you so when your little darling can't get into Clemson because those smarter northerners took her spot.

That is when the IPTAY supporters scream to there representatives, "Why can't my daughter get in. She has a B average, 1150 on SAT, played two sports, involved in the community, and I have not missed a home football game in 28 years."

My answer is, maybe I can get her into USC.
    What do Clemson and Carolina students have in common? They ALL get into Carolina.

Here are a few facts..

The enrollment mix of 65 percent in-state and 35 percent out-of-state has not changed in almost two decades. Today, Clemson accepts more S.C. students than ever. In 1997, just over 50 percent of S.C. applicants were accepted for admission; today, it’s nearly 70 percent. The quality of in-state applicants has increased significantly. The average SAT score of S.C. students has risen 16 points since 2002, narrowing the gap between the in-state and out-of-state student profile.
    Since 1997, total applications have increased by 48 percent. In 2005, there were nearly 13,000 applications for 2,800 freshman slots.
    The majority of new funds from tuition increases have gone to offset inflation and mandatory cost increases (30 percent) and state budget cuts (38 percent)

IPTAY donor's little daughter can't get in because she didn't make the grades and the girl in the front row did. 10 years ago, front row girl would go to Georgia Tech and Iptay donor's little daughter wouldn't have the same competition to get into Clemson.

2008 Student Fact Sheet: http://www.clemson.edu/oirweb1/fb/fa...8FactSheet.pdf
    Last edited by cudexter; 03-27-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    Dexter GETS IT!

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post
    No we won't.

Board makes decisions for the university, just cause you got money to burn doesn't mean you're the eat qualified for the position.
    Per Wiki, it doesn't sound like she is qualified enough to be on the Clemson Board..

Moore was born to Eugene and Loraine Moore in Lake City, South Carolina. She graduated from the University of South Carolina in 1975 with a BA in Political Science. After school, she worked for the Republican National Committee in Washington, DC.

In 1981, Moore received an MBA from George Washington University and joined other MBAs at the Chemical Bank’s training program. During the 1980s, Moore made a name for herself by taking over companies in bankruptcy and making them profitable. By the early 1990s, she was the highest-paid woman in banking.

In 1991, Moore married Richard Rainwater. She was named president of Rainwater, Inc, in 1993. Fortune Magazine named Moore one of the 50 Most Powerful Women In Business in 1998 and 1999.

Moore and her husband spend most of their time in Lake City in a house built on a plantation that has been in the Moore family for six generations. The couple also owns homes in New York City, Folsom, California and Charleston, South Carolina.

In 2011, Gov. Nikki Haley removed Darla Moore from the University of South Carolina board. Moore was replaced with Tommy Cofield.
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Duck tape,

Iptay donors get football
    Tickets. Encourage those folks to give to the Clemson Fund for academics.

Out of staters pay more in tuition to make up for the lack of taxes paid- atleast that's how I understand the reason for the difference.

Clemson is a hard school. Do Tennessee parents complain that their kid couldn't get into Vanderbilt?

Biz,
    Wasn't aware of any of darla's achievements. She should remain on her position but my argument is the position shouldn't be warranted solely on donation money.
    Dexter GETS IT!

Money talks, wether you are referring to boards or accepted applicants!!

I am not altogether sure that Mr. IPTAY really wants his daughter going to Guidoland anyway...

I am sorry but it is an institution of higher learning-- It gets both state and federal funds... WTF is all the whining about "In-State" versus "Out-of-State"??

It takes a mix to make a decent class of students any way you look at it.

Tell the parents of the B-student that did not make the cut to get over it and move on....
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Our Members include Doctors, lawyers, and an honest to God Indian Chief Mechanics, students, lawmakers, lawbreakers, professional athletes, bums, and God help us Government employees.