Thread: Labrador Kennels

Default Labrador Kennels

Im looking at getting a great hunting labrador with a legitimate pedigree, anybody got referrals to some good kennels out there? Also was curious to know how much people would spend on getting a lab? Thanks for the help...

Cedar Swamp Kennels ( Alison Causey-Ward) are members and sponsors of this Board and they usually have at least one or two litters a year. The dog in my avatar is from a breeding that they did a few years ago and I have been very happy. There are of course other resources to find good breedings including GunDogBroker and the Retriever Training Forum. Depending upon the quality of the pedigree, the age of the puppy when you actually buy it and the training it has received, the number and types of health clearances it has received, among other considerations will determine what you can expect to spend. I have spent anywhere from $750 to $1500 on a lab puppy and expect to spend at least that and on the higher end for my next puppy. The reason I expect to spend that much is that I want to get a puppy that has a really strong pedigree, has all health clearances, and (here is the kicker) has an Field Champion / Amateur Field Champion Sire AND a Field Champion / Amateur Field Champion Dam. You don't want or need to spend that much, but you can still expect to spend around 500 to 750 for a good puppy. And if anybody tells my wife how much I am going to spend I am going to hear a bunch of crap. JMO
    Last edited by SouthBryanLabs; 02-15-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    HRCH Ogeechee River's Spur of The Moment MH
    Coastline's Seal The Deal

Gunners Up Winger - Dealer for Georgia and South Carolina

I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there. - Rev. Billy Graham

We did an AI with River's mom, should know something soon. Like SBL said, performance and clearances will factor in on initial price, butbit can be a lot cheaper in the long run. Hip/elbow clearances esp going back several generations will reduce the risk of orthopedic problems, dna testing for EIC and CNM can eliminate the risk of those diseases provided at least one parent is clear. If you want to hunt with him/her it won't do you any good if it is temporarly paralyzed (eic) during a retrieve, esp if it's in water and freezing or can't retriece at all (cnm)
    www.cedarswampretrievers.com
    Labrador Retriever Puppies and Retriever Training
    Standing at stud:
    Cedar Swamp's Born to Boogie QAA (yellow)
    Young's Trump Card at Cedar Swamp QAA (black carries chocolate)
    Some of the "ladies":
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror SH