Thread: Saltwater line?

Default Saltwater line?

Looking for some decent line for reds and trout. Got an 8wt Three Forks rod that it's going on, so I figure that I need to stick with an 8wt rod. If I underline it, I can fit more backing on the reel, but probably won't turn over bigger flies(I'll be bass fishing with this line too) good enough, and 9wt might take away from the backing. Any recommendations?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I used to use Cortland's Tropic bonefish taper. You could shoot it a mile. There may be something better on the market now, though.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Scientific Anglers redfish line is good. I think Orvis's redfish line is made by SA as well.

Some tropic lines get a bit stiff in the winter. They are formulated to not be too limber in warm water.

I wouldn't underline. Most casting for reds and trout is fairly close. In the summer, you might even consider overlining for tailers.

You're not going to run out of backing with reds or trout. You probably won't even get into the backing with most fish.

Scientific Angler Redfish line..... x 2 on the tropic line. I dont like it unless it gets to the heat of the summer. I found that it gets too stiff and a little harder to get line to turnover properly. I would stick with the 8wt. I found it the best all around especially if you are trying to catch bass and trout along with the redfish.
    Last edited by 803; 01-27-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Cortland and SA are both good lines... I don't think you will have to worry about the backing too much either.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    You're not going to run out of backing with reds or trout. You probably won't even get into the backing with most fish.
    X2 - overlining can help with your casting distance and turning over bigger saltwater flies. Go with an 8 or 9wt. Backing is not going to be an issue with reds and trout.

Check out Airflo's tropical bonefish/redfish line - good stuff

X2 on the line load, one weight 'up' from the rod weight. 8 wt rod w/ 9 wt line.

The SA Pro is a great salt line, +/- $40. The Redfish is great too, +/- $60.

What reel? The gel-spun backing is small diameter and you can get many yds of it on a 8-9 wt reel, even more if it is a large arbor. I have 250+ yds of 12-lb Power Pro or Suffix braid on a Mach V reel as backing and it works fine, been into it plenty with Bonefish and Fat Alberts and no failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Some tropic lines get a bit stiff in the winter. They are formulated to not be too limber in warm water.

Damn good point.

I had forgotten about that.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

I'm partial to the Rio Clouser lines.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Thanks for all the input on the line. I'm leaning towards the RIO saltwater or redfish taper or the SA redfish taper.

What reel?
    Cabela's Prestige Plus
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold