Thread: PJ's First Time Out

Default PJ's First Time Out

Finally got my pup out for his first hunt. Been waiting for the same reason as Kwackwacker. My plan was to take him with just me to one of our brackish ponds so we'd be alone. I was hoping to minimize distractions and not mess up anyone elses hunt if he acted a fool. Well, we had to replace a trunk over there last week and the water's still too low, so I ended up hunting the main pond with several other blinds shooting. The first 5 minutes was a little rough after the shooting started, but once he settled down he did pretty well. He definitely learned a lot. I really prefer to hunt alone in a pond with wigeon grass than with 10 other guys in a ricefield, too damn hard to let any big ducks work.

My chocolate female has been hunting twice in the cold..i try to keep her dry but she doesnt mind. Shes six months her only retrive so far on a duck has been on land..should I not be taking her yet? mind you this last week she hasnt gone bc of ice

He looks depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    He looks depressed.
    He's probably wore out, nice outing nontheless.
    -- Blood and Feathers --

“When done under the rules of good sportsmanship, duck hunting is a culmination of art, skill and scientific endeavor. It is also an act of love, for who loves the birds more than the hunter?”
    --Bob Hinman, The Duck Hunter’s Handbook, 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    He looks depressed.
    That's his "sincere" look, I think he figured "If I look pathetic enough, maybe he'll let me eat one of these mother fuckers."