Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning a trip to ND for next year, Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    constantly spoofing new duck hunters is stupider than new duck hunters.

and usually a guaruntee that they suck at duck hunting too.
    Pretty sure this flew right over the top of ole romeo, he probably thought it was a teal.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Dont let anyone make you think that you can just show up and start shooting ducks. There are lots of ducks there but you will have to work for them. Stay out of the Devils Lake area. Too much of a head ache. Go west and north of there. Plan on driving many miles to find good numbers of ducks. You will need layout blinds, big foot or full body goose decoys and full body or shell mallard decoys. Mojos help too. Stay out of the fields with your vehicle when it is wet or you will damage the field and hack of the owner. Do EXACTLY what the landowner says if you get permission to hunt. If he says to ski out into the field on water skis, you better find some skis if you want to hunt that field. You can easily get limits of ducks hunting only potholes with floating decoys and waders. Alot less gear to haul out there. Thats going to be at least 26 hours so be ready for that. Stay within your possesion limits, you have to eat ducks as quick as you shoot them. dont let it get ahead of you becuase it can happen easy. Its a great trip, We have been going out there since 2003 and have had bad years and years that we had ducks literally walking around in our decoys all morning.

Good advice, but you do not need field decoys to kill mallards in the fields. They help and if you can afford them and have room by all means take them. However, do not not hunt a field because you only have floaters. Remember, robo ducks are still very much your friend in field situations! I would rather be on the the X with one robo duck and a dozen floaters than 200 yds from the X with 10 dozen full bodies!!
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

lay down in the most duck shat you can find.
    remember where the suns gonna be.
    remember how the birds will land with the wind.
    remember you cant shoot to your right if youre right handed.

You can, but it ain't easy.

no shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Tom View Post
    I was just kidding, don't go to Minnesota on a duck hunt! It is a beautiful state if they could just get the Minnesotans out of it!
    that's the truth......and the people from north dakota feel that way too. when i was there they really disliked people from minnesota and wisconsin.

one day in a cafe i found out why. a group from wisconsin was sitting at a table and the waitress asked how the hunting was. they replied : awful, there are no birds around. these guys were pheasant hunters.

while scouting ducks i was seeing a minimum of 500 pheasants a day. decided to give it a try. killed a limit 5 days in a row in under a hour. my dog really got into it too.

i asked permission to hunt a few private farms and was never turned down. i was asked if i was from minnesota or wisconsin a couple of times. i was also told one i could hunt as long as i wasn't from minnesota.

pap
    if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....

People from Minnesota don't even like people from Minnesota. Kinda like South Carolina duck hunters in Arkansas.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

It only takes one year up there to learn what you are dealing with when it comes to Sotas and chedderheads, doesn't it skrimp??

I have met some decent hunters from minnesota but I can count them on one hand and I have met hundreds of hunters over the last decade up there!!

SOTAS are the worst, followed closely by the FIBS, and pulling up in third would be the CHEDDERHEADS!

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

OK, I give. What's a FIB?

F****** Illinois Bastard!

thanks for all of the tips guys. Never field hunted before in my life so I really didnt have a clue what I could or could not get away with. We will be trying to hunt potholes mostly, But I want to be ready if I do find a field with some ducks in it. Thanks Again.

Look for transition/stagging wetlands. These will generally be small wetlands between where ducks are roosting and feeding. Some of the ducks will go from the roost to a small wetland and then on to the field. If you can find and hunt these transition/staging wetlands you can shoot the same flock of ducks for quite a while since you are not disturbing where they eat or sleep.

Please don't hunt a roost just because you see a wetland with thousands of ducks on it. If you do it right you can kill many limits from that group of birds. Don't get in the habit of jump shooting birds either, but if you can't resist the urge jump shoot the wetlands that have just a few ducks on it. Nothing drives me crazier than watching a bunch of Sotas mobilize and jump shoot a pond with hundreds or thousands of ducks on it!

Stick by these tips and people won't be coming up with names for you!!!