Thread: Is this legal?

Default Is this legal?

I found this laying on the shore yesterday while duck hunting in a cove along the Savannah River.

I'm assuming it's a 'catfish float jig', or whatever it's called. Both ends of the PVC pipe are caulked, with the swivel connected via the wrapped wire, and reflector tape at the far end.

Is it legal to just leave a hook floating along like this? Good thing there aren't too many water skiers on that section of river.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

That's what you call a trot line. I haven't done it in years or in this state at all for that matter. To my knowledge it is legal but you must deploy them after a set time in the evening and retrieve them sometime early AM. Anybody that knows a little bit more can correct me if wrong.

I thought Trot Lines involved numerous swivels, lines and hooks all tied off of a main line, not individually free-floating like this one...???
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I thought Trot Lines involved numerous swivels, lines and hooks all tied off of a main line, not individually free-floating like this one...???
    that is a trot line, what you found is a consider jugging we can do it in the upstate but not sure about the lower part of the state

and with jugging you can put them out 1hr b4 sunset and have to have them pick up one hour after surise I believe, we always pick em up an hour b4 sunrise, get em out of the way b4 all the bass boat come flying by, I hate running through a bunch of jugs in my bass boat early in the morning

I thought 'trot line jugs' have to be posted with the owner's name, and license #, etc.

I've seen guys use 1/2 to 1 gallon jugs attached to a line so that you can readily see them, but never individual PVC pipe like this one.

I'd be awfully ticked off if a ran through a field of these things and wrapped any around my prop.
    ~ George Washington

You have to have tags for both, name on the jugs, trot line, etc.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    You have to have tags for both, name on the jugs, trot line, etc.
    Thought so. Hopefully this one just lost the info tag, but I tend to doubt it ever had it on it.
    ~ George Washington

Default http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/nongamefresh.html

2 or less jugs, no permit required. Usually the reflective tape will help you avoid tangling them in your wheel when running at night.

Jugs
    Description A single hook and line attached to a free-floating device with a minimum capacity of one pint and a maximum of one gallon. May not have more than one line.

Permits/ Regulations A permit is required to fish 3 to 50 jugs (50 jug limit). Licensee’s name and address must be clearly marked on each jug.

Jug fishing is legal only in Lakes Greenwood, Secession, Richard B. Russell, Thurmond, and Stevens Creek. A permit is not required for 2 jugs with a valid state fishing license. A jug permit is not required for residents assisting jug permit holders.

Hours/ Seasons Must be removed from the water before one hour after official sunrise each day and not replaced prior to one hour before official sunset.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    2 or less jugs, no permit required. Usually the reflective tape will help you avoid tangling them in your wheel when running at night.

Jugs
    Description A single hook and line attached to a free-floating device with a minimum capacity of one pint and a maximum of one gallon. May not have more than one line.

Permits/ Regulations A permit is required to fish 3 to 50 jugs (50 jug limit). Licensee’s name and address must be clearly marked on each jug.

Jug fishing is legal only in Lakes Greenwood, Secession, Richard B. Russell, Thurmond, and Stevens Creek. A permit is not required for 2 jugs with a valid state fishing license. A jug permit is not required for residents assisting jug permit holders.

Hours/ Seasons Must be removed from the water before one hour after official sunrise each day and not replaced prior to one hour before official sunset.
    I recall reading those regs, but since I've never jug fished I didn't pay much attention to them.

We were above where Secession flows into the Savannah, and I guess it's a matter of debate as to where Russell begins, so I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for more of them.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

SC has the jugging under control. NC has been wide open for years. I think they finally capped it at 20 per man. I've done a little up at Badin Lake and lost jugs and lost fish are difinitely a problem. Some nights and some mornings the jugs are everywhere. The coves have garbage floating in them and an old jug/noodle/soda bottle is fairly common in the mix.
    " If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." -Mark Twain