Thread: .338 Federal

Default .338 Federal Swamp Rifle

Anyone have one? Anyone shot one? Thinking about building one. Seems to be the perfect swamp caliber... recoil similar to the .30-06, more whacking power, less bullet deflection in the thicket, more blood on the ground, great ballistics out to 200yds, built off the .308 casing, 4 loads of Federal factory ammo available.

Issues... don't love the commercially available options... Ruger Hawkeye, Sako, T3. Hate to spend big money on a custom gun that will not demand .5 MOA accuracy based on the fact that I will only use it for swamp thangs and squealers (<150 yards).
    Last edited by Carla Dee; 11-12-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Carla Dee

Marlin 336 in 35 Remington pretty much already does that.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

12 gauge rifled barrel with sabot slugs... good to go in the swamp out to 150-200 yds.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

Dpms makes an AR in this cal too as another option. Kind of expensive, i think in the ball park of $1700. Would be my pick based on modularity.

No experience with the .338, but based on your description of intended use would highly suggest a Marlin 1895 in 45/70. Recoil isnt as bad as you think it will be, and it will flat put things on the ground. 1x4 power scope and you're good to go out to 100 yards.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Why not just go with the .308? It is all you would need and then some. Mucho factory ammo choices.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

45/70's don't kick at all. My new rifle is a 375 H&H. its a hoss, but kickes like a pussycat for the power it has. I want another one.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Its the answer to a problem that didnt need solving....
    It seems like a good idea, but like the 358, its almost too much in a rifle you would want to put it in. I was on fire for a 358 built on my Model 7, till I shot one. A gunsmith friend was building one and let me shoot it. Punchy on both ends. Its unpleasant with the 200 gr and up bullets and lighter bullets wont do anything a 308 cant do already. Plus Ive never actually seen a box of factory ammo.