Thread: 30-30 scope mounts?

Default 30-30 scope mounts?

Been thinking of putting a scope on my marlin 336 was wondering if anyone uses and likes the see-thru mounts. I had someone at work tell me they were only accurate at the distance sighted in at but i have my doubts.

i have the see thru mounts on my 336 and i like them, and for the guy saying they arent that accurate is wrong i have shot deer out to 200yds with mine, it is a prefect brush gun, at 40yds when you shoot a deer he don't go far, but to answer your question yes the see thru mounts are nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Been thinking of putting a scope on my marlin 336 was wondering if anyone uses and likes the see-thru mounts. I had someone at work tell me they were only accurate at the distance sighted in at but i have my doubts.
    I'm not sure I understand what that is supposed to mean. ANY sight is only really accurate at the distance it's sighted in at. Anything shorter or longer than that is a guess based on expected trajectory.

The see-through mounts are OK from the standpoint of being able to quickly use your iron sights... assuming you've bothered to sight them in along with the scope.

The problem with the mounts is that they raise your scope an extra 3/4" or so and, thus, creates a loose-placement of your cheek to the stock, which can affect your accuracy when shooting through the scope. Because you have to get used to your head being used in two different mounting heights, it's easier to lose your "automatic centering" in the scope's lens by having your cheek 'welded' to the stock properly.

Personally, I use a 1.5-4 x 32 (or some such combo) power Nikon Monarch scope with it normally dialed to the lowest setting for the close shots. I find even a 1.5 or 2 power scope helps pick details out of the brush that you often can't see without a scope.

Go ahead and try them. My partner uses them and likes them... but, then, he hasn't shot a deer in years (looking for a monster buck and won't shoot does) so he can't honestly say how he feels about them.

I think it's better to use Quick Disconnect rings/mounts if you want to use the iron sights for a back-up, but to each his own.

Happy Hunting!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Everything Woodie said. I have a marlin336 in 35 remington that had see-throughs on it. I didn't like the extra high scope position, so I replaced them.
    If you were near Greenville I'd give them to you.
    Last edited by kcarp; 10-08-2010 at 10:32 AM.

I've shot 30-30s with see-thru mounts for over 20 yrs (starting with Dad's Marlin). I have them on my 336 now. I've lost count of the numbers of deer I've killed with those two rifles. It is accurate- at 75 yards, my patterns normally include at least one overlap.

I had it stretched out to 200 yrds. with the LeverEvolution loads from Hornady, but switched back to the big Core Locks for close-in hunting. It was throwing decent groups at 200 with the see-thrus. I just didn't need another long-range rifle, and like the 30-30 for what it is. Plus, I wasn't happy with the perfomance of the LE's on a couple of close range shots.

I've never had a problem with them, but, then again, I've never known anything different on a 30-30.

X2 on what Woodie said.

A low power scope keeps the sighting plain low and the little bit of extra power helps pick things out of the woods. At the lowest power it is like iron sights on steroids. You can still access your target quickly.

My first 336 had the see through mounts and it was hard to put my cheek on the stock for stability.

The one is that with Hornadys new bullets for levers, your 150 yard gun is now a 200 yard gun. The low power may not work out there.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what that is supposed to mean. ANY sight is only really accurate at the distance it's sighted in at. Anything shorter or longer than that is a guess based on expected trajectory.

The see-through mounts are OK from the standpoint of being able to quickly use your iron sights... assuming you've bothered to sight them in along with the scope.

The problem with the mounts is that they raise your scope an extra 3/4" or so and, thus, creates a loose-placement of your cheek to the stock, which can affect your accuracy when shooting through the scope. Because you have to get used to your head being used in two different mounting heights, it's easier to lose your "automatic centering" in the scope's lens by having your cheek 'welded' to the stock properly.

Personally, I use a 1.5-4 x 32 (or some such combo) power Nikon Monarch scope with it normally dialed to the lowest setting for the close shots. I find even a 1.5 or 2 power scope helps pick details out of the brush that you often can't see without a scope.

Go ahead and try them. My partner uses them and likes them... but, then, he hasn't shot a deer in years (looking for a monster buck and won't shoot does) so he can't honestly say how he feels about them.

I think it's better to use Quick Disconnect rings/mounts if you want to use the iron sights for a back-up, but to each his own.

Happy Hunting!

+1 on the cheek weld issue. Get a quality low power variable.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

The ones I had years ago were not very robust and were very easy to bump out of alignment. Mine were made of aluminum. If you go that route, get the sturdiest ones made of steel you can find.

Do any of you actually ever use the iron sights after you mount a scope on it? I never did.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

Do any of you actually ever use the iron sights after you mount a scope on it? I never did.

Rarely. Usually only on really close shots, and to make sure I still can. Plus, its fun to target shoot with the irons.

I put a fixed 4X Leupold in Leupy low rings with a one piece base on my 336. Thats about as good as it gets IMO. Rugged and stupid simple.

I had a Marllin with see thru mounts. I did not like it. Like Woody said stock weld is an issue. I got scope bit a few times becouse of it.