Thread: Breeding a Golden Doodle

Default Breeding a Golden Doodle

My mom just got a golden doodle. It's a cool little puppy. Smart as a whip. She hands the dummy to your help after only 3 of play training. Only two downfalls; 1) she is long haired and gets filthy dirty when she goes out side, and 2) mama wont let me train her because she's not going to let me hunt with her.

I did however talk her into breeding so I could have one of the pups. Thats where I have questions. I think breeding with a lab would produce a good pup, because hopefully the hair would be a little shorter and they would be even smarter than their mother. Golden Doodles don't have papers because they are not a recognized breed. So if we bred an unregistered golden doodle with a registered lab, would that create problems for the lab? So finding a lab might be a challenge.

We are still about 6-8 months away from breeding, but this will be our first time so I want to know what I'm doing by then.

What are yall's thoughts? I need all the suggestions I can get...

BTW I think Zeva is 2/3 Golden Retriever and 1/3 Standard Poodle.

TERRIBLE IDEA. First off, most breeders and vets say to wait at least until the dog is 2 years old before breeding. Second, just go buy a dog. You will get a better dog, spend less money, and create less problems for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Why don't you just go and smash your hand in the truck door about 3 or 12 times.

It'll be cheaper and less painful.

Second going and just buying another dog.

She's long-haired because she hasn't been cut. Since they don't shed, they'll get as long as you let them.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Well then, I'm glad I asked! Thanks for the input.

Lots of little pups pick up things quickly. Dont jump into doing a backyard breeding because of what you like about one puppy. Go watch a well trained dog run a finished hunt test and I promise you'll forget about breeding a goldendoodle.

You'd be happier in the long run if you bought a pup from a good breeding of 2 dogs that have all their health certs done and are dogs that you have seen perform and know you liked what you saw.

Do some research on breeds and training and decide what your expectations are. There are lots of good retriever sites on the net that you could go to and do some reading and decide what you want out of a dog.

Check out,

retrievertraining.net and dancindogproductions.com Both good sites with lots of info.

Theres also a thread at the top of this forum with some links to training info

Good luck to ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Why don't you just go and smash your hand in the truck door about 3 or 12 times.

I agree
    Last edited by HuntinCosta; 09-27-2010 at 09:29 AM.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinCosta View Post
    I agree
    Sometimes you just have to listen.... listen and do EXACTLY as the men here advise. It might hurt in the short run, but the lesson you will learn...

mama wont let me train her because she's not going to let me hunt with her.
    Really...?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

If you did it, you would get your one mutt and then have the rest of the litter to find homes for. The world doesn't need more mutts. We get enough of them by accidental breedings.

Leave breeding to the pros and take advantage of their blood, sweat and tears by buying a good dog from them. It's the only reliable way to better the breeds.

Why on earth would you want to breed the dog just so you can have "1" of the puppies?? If youre that hung up on the doodle, then just find someone with a litter, or soon to be litter and get one! Makes a hell of a lot more sense to me.

Or....just man up and tell momma who wears the pants.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

So do I gather that breeding dogs is not a part time hobby? This was going to be the first step to breeding and selling dogs. Guess there's a lot more to it than i thought.

Maybe I should just buy a pup and see how the training goes, then many miles down the road reevaluate the situation.

Thanks for the help

Yes, there are many considerations to breeding. Do you know the diseases that are associated with Goldens/Poodles/Labs

Poodles have a bleeding disorder in addition to all the other things that Labs and goldens have.

There is no such thing as "hybrid vigor"...ask any vet and they will tell you they've seen mixed breed dogs with hip dysplasia...it's found in ALL breeds of dogs.

Here's what I have typed up for those thinking about breeding.
    http://www.cedarswampretrievers.com/breeding.html
    I actually didn't breed a litter for a few years after having c-sections done on two different bitches. Had I not had them done when I did, I would have lost the puppy and possibly the female. One female the puppy was turned sideways and could not come into the birth canal. This was her second and final litter. The second bitch (her second litter) had a c-section there was a vaginal prolapse, about ping pong ball size. She had also quit pushing before the last puppy was born. Her second c-section...her entire vagina was starting to prolapse before hard labor even started.I had her spayed at the same time as the second c-section.
    http://www.cedarswampretrievers.com/breeding.html
    www.cedarswampretrievers.com
    Labrador Retriever Puppies and Retriever Training
    Standing at stud:
    Cedar Swamp's Born to Boogie QAA (yellow)
    Young's Trump Card at Cedar Swamp QAA (black carries chocolate)
    Some of the "ladies":
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror SH