Thread: First "real" bass on the fly

Default First "real" bass on the fly

Finally got a fly outfit about 2 weeks ago(the cheap Medalist combo) and have taken it out a few times. Caught a few flat fish on it and some finger sized bass. Went out again this morning and finally caught a real bass. All I can say is that I finally understand why you need a heavier wt. setup to throw bigger flies. I've got a 5wt and trying to throw this popper just about wore me out. Then I tied on a #12 foam spider later and realized that I can throw the smaller flies about twice as far as I can the bigger ones. I also found out just how much flat fish love a foam spider

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Woot!

I caught one pushing five pounds the other day on mine. It was a hoot.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Good'ern!

Nice fish!

Add a sparkle minnow on a dropper off the hook bend and hang on.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

They are fun on the fly fo sho. I remember the first time I landed on few on some poppers and flies I tied myself. Twas badass.
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 07-22-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Thats Awesome!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Mmmm, bass fillets.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Mmmm, bass fillets.
    I've been fishing in a buddy of mine's ponds a lot. He's got a ton of small bass(under 2.5lbs) and I've been telling him that we need to take some of them out. I think there are too many fish in the ponds, and nothing can get very big. He's got one "tank", as they call them out here, that is about an 1-1.5 acres and one that's maybe half to 3/4's an acre. This spring I tore the fish up on the bigger one, and now it's shut down. The only bass I've caught are on the small one. I noticed a few months ago that there is a LOT more vegetation in the small pond(I think that it's got a perfect ratio of open water to grass) than on the big one. Then the fella told me that he didn't like all of the grass in the bigger pond, so he caught a few grass carp and put them in there
    Now there is basically no vegetation in the larger pond for baitfish to hide in, or to add any cover of any kind. I might try to sneak out there one day when he's not home and do my best to kill those damn carp.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Problem with most private/farm ponds is that everyone tries to play Bill Dance QBMA and turn everything back then the pond becomes overpopulated.

Every pond needs to have a certain number of fish taken out to keep it at carrying capacity.

Fuck a carp.

The problem is, the guy just doesn't "get it". I'm trying to break it to him as nice as possible...but fish HAVE to have cover. He has even said "Yea, the fish were bigger and you caught more of them when the grass was thick. Now I just think that there are too many small fish for the bass to eat and it's easier for them to catch the baitfish, so that's why they're harder to catch".

I'm making a little head-way with him though.
    Last edited by quackaddict; 07-22-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Problem with most private/farm ponds is that everyone tries to play Bill Dance QBMA and turn everything back then the pond becomes overpopulated.

Every pond needs to have a certain number of fish taken out to keep it at carrying capacity.

Fuck a carp.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

My best on a fly was a little over 8 on a big old black and white Hula Popper. Talk about hard to throw, that HP weighs about ˝ lb.

I didn't have any problems landing the fish cause I was in a homemade float tube. I just held on and let her pull me around till she got tired.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."