Thread: single or double bevel?

Default single or double bevel?

will someone please explain the pros and cons of single and double bevel on cut on contact broadheads. Am I correct in assuming that a single bevel head is sharpened on only one side of each blade. simmons is offering each of their heads in a single or double bevel. thanks.
    \"Go to Know\"

Supposedly, the most extensive and unbiased tests show that COC two blade heads with single bevel will penetrate best of any broadhead configuration. I get the COC and two blade part, and I can see where the steeper the angle the less the penetration, but I don't get the single vs double bevel deal. I guess you can get sharper edges or maybe they will be stronger thus deeper penetration on bone hits. IDK? But yes, single bevel is blade sharpened with grind on one side only.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

tradorion Coots

Look up the Ashby studies done on this.... they lost a little edge for me when he started marketing his own $90 for 3 broadheads but its still some interesting stuff....

the biggest thing that i saw of interest on the single beve head was that the single bevel is on OPPOSITE edges... when you put this in conjuntion with the proper helical on your fletching it allegedly can help put some wicked torque on the broadhead thus potentially causing some very sweet bone splitting power in the event of an ooooopsie shot.

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/PR/S...Broadheads.pdf

I would guess that a single bevel has a smaller included angle than a double bevel. They are probably both sharpened at a 10 or 15 degree angle relative to the side of the blade.

On a single bevel, one side of the edges is aligned with the direction of travel, i.e. straight into the flesh. The sharpened side of the bevel hits the flesh at an angle. On a double bevel, both sides hit the flesh at an angle.

I think I'd discount the torque of a spinning arrow. Once flesh makes contact, the flat sides of the head would have much more effect on the subsequent direction of travel than any left over torque from the spin invoked by the fletching. Do you think a helical broadhead would penetrate better then a flat one?

Shoot a few through a 50 gal barrel and see how they do... That's why I shoot wasp sst Hammers, but I may be a lil old school when it comes to bowhunting.

If you are hunting 50 gal barrels, I'd probably go with single bevel.

I've been fascinated with Ashby's work for a decade but I've yet to tip an arra with a single bevel broadhead. Most folks would get better penetration from many other factors that contribute above and beyond edge bevel. If you were going to shoot an elk in the scapula, Ashby has made a pretty good case for it's ability to split heavy bone better than traditional double bevel....all else being equal.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 06-11-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

thanks for the info guys. I think, all things considered, there are more important factors that go into an arrow & broadhead combination than single or double bevel. I really want to put together a close range setup with a xx78 and a 190 gr simmons tree shark. wicked awesome. i do believe the scapula crack could be heard from the next county.
    \"Go to Know\"

With that combo you'll be able to shoot through schools.

edit:

Dave also has a new 170 gr prototype that is being tested too. So far it looks good.
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-11-2010 at 07:04 PM.

tradorion Coots

Palmetto Bug- i'd debate in a heartbeat whether the helical on a heavy arrow would enhance or degrade the torque of a single bevel broadhead....

but then again- i'd argue with a wall....

my general rule is shoot what the hell you like-

Single bevel is stronger (more metal) acting more like a chisel than a knife, therefore causing more bone damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

Waisting alot of time reading that old study technology. Just get a slick trick and be done with it.

They make a 175 grain head now. Try it and your rice bill will go down.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 06-12-2010 at 10:07 PM.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Is this being shot from a bow or a "Wheelie bow" ...makes a difference. "wheelie bows" don't count. Ask toof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

wheelie bow for shizzle.
    \"Go to Know\"