Thread: pups tender

Default pups tender

I have a ten month old black lab, that has all the certified akc and whatnot. He had a slight limp 2 months back and I took him to the vet and they said he was just going through some growing pains. Well the baby limp is back, it's nothing crucial but it seems to hurt our training sessions and he's not as excited about field work. I was wondering if anyone had these same problems or has any advice?

FWIW, my yellow lab grew so fast that he had cartilage issues in both frt. shoulders. DJ was not a hunter- just a loved family member and didn't train. Had to have both frt. shoulders operated on @ just over one year.
    In loving memory- KVP 1961-2009
    "Sooner or later the man who wins is the Man who thinks he Can!!!!!" Thanks Nor!!!

You know I am no rocket scientist or anything, but I think you should trust your gut on this and get another opinion. My wife and I have 3 boys, and we have a great pediatrician who told us years ago that only we know our children well enough to know when something just is not right, and never to feel bad when asking a question or bringing our child into the doctors office. I have 4 dogs and I spend every day with them and I know when something just is not right. I don't give a crap if I offend a vet, if I think one of my pups is having a problem I would follow through with checking it out until in my mind all avenues were checked out, and I don't think any vet would disagree.

Front leg or back?

Seems some radiographs may be in order.

radiographs = xrays

(glenn-this is the retriever forum. use small words)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Just front, and it just seem to happen in the last two weeks but has made him pretty lazy since.

Young dog + fore limb lameness = rule out juvinille bone disease.

Juvinille bone disease can be, but not limited to, OCD of the shoulders and elbows, FCP and UAP.

Or he could have a briar in his toe.

That's what I figured and it's consistent with what I've read as well. It's just that this keeps happening and was no longer a one time incident so I assume there is a situation. thanks.