Thread: Recoil Pads

Has anyone ever ground one down themselves? How much trouble is it? How difficult will it be for someone (me) who has never done it?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

It's not that hard even daddyallthumbsduck could possibly do it.
    Put the pad on and scribe a line around the pad where it meets the stock. Take the pad off and grind it down to the line with a belt sander. Then put the pad back on the stock and see if there are any high spots if there are take some 200 grit paper and cut them down by hand . Also to keep recoil pads from catching on your shirt paint the sides of the pad with a clear fingernail polish.

Snake
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

On the final grind, put a layer of wide freezer tape around the stock right at the edge of the pad. It will be sacrificial and forgive those little oops with the sandpaper and prevent damage to the stock. Ditto on the clear fingernail polish.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

OK
    Last question; the stock is not cut off straight... it has a slight concave ) angle to it when the butt plate is removed. Will the pad conform to this ???
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

NO you will have to have the stock cut. sigh Sushi just bring me the stock and the pad and I'll do it for ya.
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

KRT--snake is right there....if you are looking for him.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.