Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canvasback Populations

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    that is an awesome shot there RH...love the lighting

you've definitely got a thing for set-up shots like this. all of them i have ever seen you post are amazing(really liked that one from awhile back with the butterball and the citori i think it was)
    Thanks quackaddict. You are way, way too generous.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman88 View Post
    That is BEAutiful!!!!!!!!! I'm jealous right now. I am saving up my pennies right now and eventually I am going to have one. I want to get to the point where that is all I shoot. A limit with a double barrel would be sweet. But all I can do now is dream...................
    I know exactly how you feel. My Uncle Aiken bought me a little, plastic side-by-side popgun when I was five-years-old. It stuck with me for life. In 1985, I got the only SxS I could afford, a Savage Fox BSE. The first time I got to take that gun duck hunting was during the one-day October early season when the limit on woodie was four. I shot my first dead-in-the-air double ever with that Fox BSE. On that October morning I decided I would only hunt with a SxS. Less than a year later, the Feds mandated steel shot. Browning had just announced the Invectors and added them to the Citori in 1985 so I waited for the 1986 catalog to see if they would add Invectors to the BSS line. Not only did they not add steel-capable chokes, they canceled the entire BSS line so I had to go to the Citori.

Fast forward 23 years; I'm using a horizontal double on every web-footed bird I shot all season. I've got $1000 worth of tungsten and bismuth, 20 and 12 gauge. I'm not goin' for broke, I am broke.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

A wheat penny, i got one of those laying around here somewhere.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Talking about cans there is also a man that has been at the SEWE the last few years that has a guide service in N.C. He hunts a lake that is close to the Va. state line, I'm not real familiar with the where-abouts but he sounds promising on hunting cans.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post

asd(really liked that one from awhile back with the butterball and the citori i think it was)
    Rubberhead, post that one up! If Quackaddict is talking about the one I'm thinking of, that's one of my top two SCDucks photos (squatty's prize-winning woodie in the corn being the other ***not counting the "black bokini"). The thing that sets that one off for me are the specks of blood on the grass and on the white feathers on the bufflehead.
    Last edited by Redleg; 07-01-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: I forgot about the "black bokini"
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
    Rubberhead, post that one up! If Quackaddict is talking about the one I'm thinking of, that's one of my top two SCDucks photos (squatty's prize-winning woodie in the corn being the other ***not counting the "black bokini"). The thing that sets that one off for me are the specks of blood on the grass and on the white feathers on the bufflehead.
    I'm humbled that you remember it that well. I put it in the photography section. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

http://www.scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40114
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Duck View Post
    Talking about cans there is also a man that has been at the SEWE the last few years that has a guide service in N.C. He hunts a lake that is close to the Va. state line, I'm not real familiar with the where-abouts but he sounds promising on hunting cans.

Lake Gaston? I hunt on Falls Lake and Jordan Lake in Durham county, but its crowded, but I have found a few out of the way places...I have to walk a mile or more to get in. But I don't ever see cans. I guess they stop wherever your talkin about.
    I might be allergic, but I'll try it anyway.

Last year I hunted upstate NY and shooting of Canvasbacks was prohibited for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    Lake Gaston? I hunt on Falls Lake and Jordan Lake in Durham county, but its crowded, but I have found a few out of the way places...I have to walk a mile or more to get in. But I don't ever see cans. I guess they stop wherever your talkin about.

Probably Roanoke Rapids, which is just down from Gaston,

That's the only place in the Southeast that has more dumb*** rubberheads than Santee hunting it.

It is by far the worst I have ever seen, G'town or Santee on opening weekend don't hold a candle to that place.

The divers do like that lake, it's shallow and LOTS of vegetation. The birds get a good workout, cause the rubberheads run through the rafts and "run and gun" the birds about every 10 minutes.

If your a sky busting, no calling, wannabe rubberhead, jump shooting, outlaw then you'll love that place.
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]