Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer plot info needed...

if youre not planting until the fall, dont spray it now. its not like spraying roundup will last all summer. if you spray, crab grass, etc will be back up in 2 weeks.
    disk it once a month until youre ready to spray/plant.

yep.

What spray are you guys recommending... Roundup?

drwilly, hmm... bow season comes in before rifle does here in the upstate, so I can't use the "little brass arrows" until after I use the "long aluminum arrows". With any luck I'll be able to get one (or two?) in bow season if I can get enough time in the woods.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

get the generic glyphosate. 2.5 oz/gal and you dont need to coat what youre spraying heavily.

based on your size of plot, id plant peas and sunflowers 3 weeks before the opener.

you need to buy the brand name stuff like biologic and (especially) tecomate because they have pictures of deer on the bags and david morris is an expert on genetics*. [sic]

* "genetics"

If you have some 2 row planters put soybeans in one hopper and sorghum in the other. Plant about half the plot as the soybeans will be gone quickly and once the sorghum ripens it 2 will be gone in a hurray. This will give you some forage closer to bow season and also give you about half the plot for planting wheat for later in the season. Sorghum takes around 100-140 days to germinate so if you want to go this way get it in the ground as soon as possible.

Ahh... no planter available, strictly broadcast. But could still broadcast the mix.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by 3chunter View Post
    To control weeds and nutgrass what specifically do you spray?

We spray Poast on our clover patches to grass and mow to control everything else.
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    What spray are you guys recommending... Roundup?

drwilly, hmm... bow season comes in before rifle does here in the upstate, so I can't use the "little brass arrows" until after I use the "long aluminum arrows". With any luck I'll be able to get one (or two?) in bow season if I can get enough time in the woods.

Tip: buy "Kilz All" works as good as round up but half the price.
    80-20 Genaration

In all of our plots we have the mixtures. Im not sure what all is in it, but different things come up at different times. I wish I could give you more and if my cousin ever posted on here he could give you some insight, but it really works. The deer tear it up and it gives nutrients for them throughout the year instead of something that lasts for a short time. This was my first year hunting my uncle's property and over those plots I killed more deer than I ever have. They are constantly on it, but because it comes up at different times they can't ever "destroy" the plots. I do know that it isn't biologic because with the huge amount we plant we can't afford to use it.
    For the ducks

well that sums it up right there.