Thread: Question for a biologist.

Could one of our resident biologists recommend any book or books preferably with color photographs showing some of the different wild plants growing in our lovely State?

My wife wants to be able to figure out what she is looking at while we are exploring the creeks and rivers of the lowcountry.
    Like to talk Gamecock sports? Check out http://www.gamecocksportsforum.com.

Well I'd start with a Southeast plant guide like you may find at Barnes and Noble... get down with learning some plant taxonomy so you know which family you are dealing with and try using the SC Plant Atlas... it is invaluable...

SC Plant Atlas

I'm impressed Moatsy [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

Very impressed, and thanks!

QD
    Like to talk Gamecock sports? Check out http://www.gamecocksportsforum.com.

I think there is such a book authored by a biology professor from the Citadel, Richard Porcher. We're in the same hunting club where he is also known as "Hoot Owl". I'll try to find out the name of the book and where it can be found.

Tommy

Richard Dwight Porcher is a professor of biology and director of the herbarium at The Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina. An authority on the flora of South Carolina, he is the author of Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry and Lower Pee Dee and a co-author of Lowcountry: The Natural Landscape. He was born in Berkeley County, South Carolina, and received his B.S. from the College of Charleston and Ph.D. from the University of South Carolina. Porcher trained under Dr. Wade T. Batson and serves on the South Carolina Heritage Trust Advisory Board and the Scientific Advisory Board of the South Carolina Nature Conservancy. Porcher lives in Mount Pleasant.

Another vote for Porcher's book. I had it while at the Cid and it was fantastic. I can't find it right now but will try and dig up the name.
    Rivets Rule

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

WOnder if this is the same porcher that taught 101 in 89-90? I passed! Must be a gem of a guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

The Porcher book would probably be your best bet since it's SC specific but the Audubon Society also has a 488 page book on plants native to the Southeast. Although I hate the idea of giving any of my money to the Audubon Society. You can get it at Barnes and Noble or Amazon.com.
    National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Southeastern States
    by Peter Alden
    Published by: Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.

An easy-to-use guide that provides illustrated descriptions of plants native to Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. This versatile guide also provides illustrated description of birds, mammals and other local wildlife native to the local plant communities. Over 1300 quality phographs and a listing of parks, preserves and sanctuaries where you might find native plants.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Aside from local guides such as the others have said, the Audobon books are the easiest to use for most people. That goes for anything, plants, animal, birds, cloud formations, etc. The photo (color) plates are superior to any other major guide I have used. I own quite a few field guides and Audobon always has the strange shit that my other books don't. There are better technical guides, as far as taxonomic orgainzation, but they are harder to use.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

I have an excellent book called "Wildflowers in South Carolina" by Wade T. Batson. It was published in 1964 by University of SOuth Carolina Press. If you contact them it may still be possible to get a copy. It has excellent color pictures and the plants are broken down as to mountains, piedmont, sand hills and coastal plains. it is the best reference book I have seen as well as being so easy to use.

Batson was a professor of biology at USC.

one of "hoot owl's" books is "A field guide to The Bluff Plantation".I beleve that is what he used in the classroom but I would not know not being a Citadel grad.I have used this book for years on our place in Charleston county and find it full of info that you won't find in non South Carolina specific books.
    Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

DNR may have some field guide books at the Dennis building in their little gift shop. Also Rudy Mancke may be able to lead you to some good field guides or they may sell them at the museum. I think he's the curator of natural history or something there now isn't he?
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."