Thread: OBX Jan. 16th &17th

Default OBX Jan. 16th &17th

My dad and I went on our first hunting trip together in three years and had a great time! My dad had a bad fall from a ladder two years ago, and broke his leg very badly. Earlier in the year we decided that it was time to resume our father/son trips. I had a Canada Goose permit and a swan permit, and the first day we hunted in Currituck. Dad had never taken a Canada Goose in his life, and I told him I wanted him to shoot one if given the chance. The first flight of the morning brought 4 from off in the distance. The wind was perfect and the geese came in perfect. Dad picked one out and shot his first ever goose!! After that a single drake Pintail came to us and we shot at the same time dropping him. Behind him, several swan came in to us, and dad again dropped the hammer on a big one. We ended the day with the goose, a swan, two Pintail, and three Wigeon. All of which were drakes! The wind was cold, and the ducks were flying! Everything that was interested in us, came to us, and all we had to do was bust 'em in the face! We quit about 12. Saturday, we hunted with Vic down in Oregon Inlet. The whole area in front of the blind was a mixture of frozen sheets and slushy ice. We only put out a few decoys, and killed three teal right off the bat. Later, dad went for a walk to work his bad leg and came back with a nice drake Pintail! After getting the ice to finally break loose and float off, we put out the rest of the decoys, and had a pair of teal come to us. I finally got my drake Green Wing I had been after for the past few seasons!! What was especially cool was my lab Daisy finally remembered that she is a retreiver, and not my girlfriends spoiled house dog, and went out and retrieved the teal!! Right after that, a pair of Gadwall came to the decoys, and my dad got the hen. Daisy, without hesitation immediately retrieved it also! All in all we had a great trip. Dad and I got to spend time together, and Daisy finally remembered who she really is. Here's some of the pics from the trip.

WOW! Fantastic!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Good hunts. How many mounts you getting from that trip?
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

sir, you are truly blessed.....belie dat!

congrats on the mixed bag and wonderful trip with big daddy!

great story to read before bed!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

sweet tripp good bit of birds that first day yall was in justins blind wasnt yall??
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Great job!
    "I never met a dog I didn't like" ..slightly twisted words by Will Rogers

"When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog, point the finger at yourself"
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Nice job.

duckcommander727, it looks like Matt's blind.

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate lab84 View Post
    Nice job.

duckcommander727, it looks like Matt's blind.
    I meant matt my bad
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Awesome pic with your dog and the light in the background

Great hunts! Be glad you spent time w/your old man. The rest is a bonus.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Love the dog pic. Congrats on the kills.

Nice Whackage, Its a shame that the pintail lost its sprig that is a mature bird!
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

Great stuff C.!
    The Tiger who does not prowl is a potential rug.

Thanks guys! It was indeed a memorable trip. Dad and I didn't think we'd be making the trip again after he broke his leg. The doctor in Charlotte wanted to amputate it, it was so bad. It was definitely a recharge for our spirits. The Pintail that dad was holding looked like he had his sprig snatched out by something, but he has one from the first day that's going on the wall. HuntinCosta, I'm only getting the drake Green Wing mounted. I busted up a near perfect Wigeon on Friday and 'bout made myself sick. He would've definitely been on the wall.

Who'd you hunt with Redfish? Congrats on the Pintail and Brant!

Awesome..............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Good stuff right there! As said before, killing any birds is just a bonus when you get to go out on a trip like that with your dad. Great memories and pics you will cherish forever.