Thread: New rifle

Default New rifle

Took my new howa out the box, sighted it in earlier today. Killed this male tonight. Called in another one, but couldn’t get a shot.

IMG_7368.jpg
    IMG_7384.jpg

Nice. What caliber is the new rifle
    A fish bites 2 times a day, right before I get to the water, and as soon as my boat gets back on the trailer.

6mm ARC. I already have one in a savage heavy barrel. Bought the howa bc when savage says heavy they mean heavy.

Nice.

I blanked yesterday and today. I made 3 stands yesterday afternoon/evening and 2 today. I don't usually have much luck this time of year when they first start off raising pups during daylight hours but it's better than sitting at home. I much prefer hunting them in daylight hours but I do have thermal and night vision as well... just haven't been out with it since Feb. I guess I need to put more land into the night registry and bite the bullet if I want to kill em. The wind just sets up wrong for a lot of my places this time of year.

It's definitely harder in the spring but its slowly picked up for me the last month, although I'm still only averaging one a night. I'm having luck either waiting for them to howl and getting within 150 yards, or locating and coming back the next night and setting up close. Pup howls and Den raid have been working. If they howl close then I'll challenge howl back and usually see them in the next minute or so. I'm having no luck in getting them to bust across wide open crop fields though. We were shooting deer last night and had them open up on two sides of us, but couldn't get them to pop into the open. The weekend rain and humidity haven't been helping either. It's about to get real hard for me once the crops get much taller, I'll be waiting on hay to get cut and hammering the cow pastures.