Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to my roots...

Default Back to my roots...

The bittersweet time as come, it is time to trail on back home. What an experience this has been. I was looking back at my posts of my work out here, and man has it been a blast. The hardest job I will probably ever do, working for the most challenging people I will ever work for, no doubt. I have learned more about life than I have about running a ranch. Don't get me wrong, I have learned plenty of the care of ranch horses, pasture management, mechanics, plumbing, electric work, etc. This job teaches you all of that and more, but moving 4 days after graduating high school, 2,000 miles away from everything you've ever known, to both work AND live with people you've never met, to do a job you are vastly under qualified to do, it truly shows who you are. I have learned many things about myself, good and bad. These 2 years have flown by, I have been blessed enough to find what makes me happy, meet some incredible people, do things that most people dream of, and live a life away from the crazy world.

God opened this door to me 3 years ago, and I haven't stopped giving thanks. It all seemed so easy, getting the job, graduating, moving out here. Working when it didn't feel like work. Most days I cannot believe I get paid to do this.

Overall, this has been worth every second spent away from my family and friends. The family I've had the privilege to work for is truly one of a kind. Learning from them has been quite the adventure.

A huge thanks to SouthernDuck, for I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him to pave the path for me.

Thank you to all who have supported me and checked in, the comments on these posts have kept me going when it got cold and lonely in the winters.

I'll be passing the torch to holerunna, so don't worry, I'm sure the pics will keep coming, just not from me.

As soon as I saw Montana, I fell in love. But she is not home.
    i wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong

I admire what you did David!

It’s been fun being a spectator of it all.

"There's no place like home".

I've enjoyed your stories and your pictures. What an experience for sure.

whoa...I hate to see it come to an end for you. It'd sure be hard for me to come back to SC after living that life for two years.

I admire what you did. Your pictures and stories have been great your journey has been fun to watch and read. I wish I would have thought about doing something like that when I was younger.

Have a safe trip home, and welcome back. We need a lot more young men like you!

Awesome experience. Best of luck in your next chapter of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see you, buddy.

You'll never forget these days and there is more to come.

Good stuff.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Truly impressive, young man.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

You are an extraordinary person so this is, I'm sure, not the last extraordinary thing you'll do. I admire you immensely.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Still jealous I didn't do this. Have a safe trip home.

Glad its been a good experience and glad I could connect good people. Not a day goes by that I dont think about the 3 years I spent on that ranch, I miss it everyday. I love home but I am pretty sure my heart is in the West. Thank you for passing the torch, its an incredible place with a job that few ever get to experience and is the single greatest learning lesson a young person can ever have. I learned 100x fold there what I learned in college and I apply it every day. If you have kids that are coming of the age, encourage them to venture out and find an experience that will help them grow and challenge the crap out of them. 4:30am to 8pm days in the spring are the best.
    cut\'em

Great job! Welcome home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I've certainly enjoyed watching your posts on here. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us.
    Now the important question. Did your Dad come back out there and kill a turkey before you left?
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

You really got my attention when you said you haven’t stopped giving thanks to God.

That is great to hear!

Don’t ever stop giving thanks.

I loved following and know your momma is happy you're coming home, your dad.....not so much....

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Job well done, my man.

I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Good stuff. You learned more there than you could ever learn in a classroom. Congratulations.

I spent a summer cruising timber in NW Montana and it was a hell of an experience but like you said it wasn't home. I can't imagine the winters out there. I'm sure your family is excited to have you coming back this way. Safe travels, and take your time coming home. We explored further NW on our way home and went from Glacier to Olympic Peninsula down to Redwoods over to Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park and then hauled ass to SC.