Thread: Etec 200hp

Default Etec 200hp

I just had a clean 2006 Etec 200hp unexpectedly become mine.
    Clean with less than 300 hrs on it
    I know they have a reputation for being fast, great fuel economy and fairly quiet, 100:1 oil mixture
    Original owners says, never had one issue with it
    Anyone ever own one? If so, please tell me what your thoughts are
    Thanks

Great motors with a good reputation as some of the best 2 strokes out there. Like you said, definitely the most fuel efficient 2 strokes made as well. I have noticed on some of the forums (Boston Whaler in particular) that people are beginning to shy away from them due to fear of parts availability. With the closing of Evinrude's operations all together I think parts may become scarce, but I would think you would be safe to set it up and run it for several years to come until those parts dry up. Just something to be aware of. I always have liked the aesthetics of those motors, they look awesome on a number of boats.

Quote Originally Posted by WatereesWatson View Post
    Great motors with a good reputation as some of the best 2 strokes out there. Like you said, definitely the most fuel efficient 2 strokes made as well. I have noticed on some of the forums (Boston Whaler in particular) that people are beginning to shy away from them due to fear of parts availability. With the closing of Evinrude's operations all together I think parts may become scarce, but I would think you would be safe to set it up and run it for several years to come until those parts dry up. Just something to be aware of. I always have liked the aesthetics of those motors, they look awesome on a number of boats.
    Kinda my same thoughts,
    Thanks

I had a 2008 225 and best engine ever built imo. Had alot of hrs on it and it ran everyday. BEWARE the only problem I ever had was injectors. I ran it 100:1 but make damn sure if you do use only the oil that is recommended for it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Put 1,000hrs on a pair of 200’s offshore on a 2550 blue water about 10 years ago and the only issues were 2 injectors. That being said they have ZERO resale value now that they’ve gone under and nobody wants to work on them.

We just scrapped our 225 with 450hr. Couldnt keep it cool no matter how many water pumps and thermostats you put in it. 2 cylinders were always overheating.

Still have a 200 and it will fly but it has had an injector or high pressure fuel pump go out more than once.
    cut\'em

Hard to find injectors since no longer made
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I had one that I loved but dang it loved water pumps. It overheated a lot.
    For the ducks

All of the above and index your spark plugs… run it until it gives you issues!
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
    All of the above and index your spark plugs… run it until it gives you issues!
    Yep and it can be a bitch to get them right!
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

It is on a 24Ft Bay Boat we bought yesterday and bought it wanting to repower it asap,
    but ran the piss outta it today and the ETEC purred like a kitten and ran like a scalded dog
    for two solid hours. Computer read-out 313 hrs and no previous overheat issues or faults showing in data history.
    Pretty sweet motor

If it ain't had plugs or a water pump it's time.

To echo Dr. Duck, plugs and water pump and run er til she blows. If you were planning to repower, you’re just playing with house money by using it.
    For the ducks

You have to index the plugs if not it will not run right.

Just ordered the plugs, water pump and VST filter and new fuel/water separator

E-Tec.jpg