View Poll Results: Should there be a state wide ban on the use of these loud mufflers during duck season

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

71 66.98%
  • no

35 33.02%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Mud motors

Ok so it looks like we have a consensus.

Mud motors can hurt duck hunting because of 3 primary factors, 1) noise , 2) misuse/driving them inappropriately, 3)access remote areas more efficiently.

To Coots point, A ban on exhaust mods would likely not alleviate #2 and #3. But , I think it would be a step on the right direction for limiting disturbance of waterfowl.... and quite frankly the peace and quiet of enjoying the states natural resources.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Ok so it looks like we have a consensus.

Mud motors can hurt duck hunting because of 3 primary factors, 1) noise , 2) misuse/driving them inappropriately, 3)access remote areas more efficiently.

To Coots point, A ban on exhaust mods would likely not alleviate #2 and #3. But , I think it would be a step on the right direction for limiting disturbance of waterfowl.... and quite frankly the peace and quiet of enjoying the states natural resources.
    Which brings up another point. I’ve seen people literally go into a hole that’s full of Lilly pads and couldn’t get to it by boat had to walk in and literally hear them say I don’t see nothing well maybe they are there and we just can’t see them. Pop a shot off and let’s see if anything gets up! Like I said the Human will find away to mess things up face it.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

There is no correct way to use mud motor without disturbing waterfowl. A mud motor is a disturbance from the time it gets on plane leaving the boat ramp. A mud motor with stock exhaust on plane makes too much noise. Even people being decent running the channel, are still running birds up from the noise, far from the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    ....................I can’t bet you anything there ain’t another person on this site that puts the miles and legwork in this state that I do I put 25,000 miles a year on my truck in this state dragging my boat around trying to find a duck. My mud boat has 2800 hours on it of good use.....................
    With your own words you prove that you make more noise over a larger area then most folks in the state

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    There is no correct way to use mud motor without disturbing waterfowl. A mud motor is a disturbance from the time it gets on plane leaving the boat ramp. A mud motor with stock exhaust on plane makes too much noise. Even people being decent running the channel, are still running birds up from the noise, far from the channel.

With your own words you prove that you make more noise over a larger area then most folks in the state
    I know you THINK you know how I use my boat BUT YOU DONT! Just because a leave an area from hunting at higher rpm’s and making noise it doesn’t ruin hunting. Like I told feet’s what’s next we have to use an electric lawnmower because I get up at 6 and cut my grass and YOU are sleeping! Again good luck and happy hunting! And if you want to ride around next season and scout I’ll show you it can be done it’s an open invitation.
    Last edited by coot nasty; 03-01-2024 at 11:39 AM.

Aldo Leopold, the father of wildlife management wrote the book Sand County Almanac. Many of you outdoorsman are probably familiar with this book. In the book, Leopold argues that we are responsible for maintaining a "land ethic". This land ethic means we ethically use our natural resources appropriately and honorably. Leopold wrote:

It was likewise in 1870 that a market gunner boasted in the American Sportsman of killing 6000 ducks in one season near Chicago. Rest! Cries chief Sawyer and we pause for breath.

Our saw now cuts the 1860s, when thousands died to settle the question, is the man-man community lightly to be dis-membered? They settled it, but they did not see, nor do we yet see, that the same question applies to the man-land community.
    Where do we draw the line at exploiting the resource to kill a few more ducks and exploit a few new wild places?
    Last edited by tman; 03-01-2024 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Misquote
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I have hunted many times in flooded timber where one mud motor running at the ramp shut down the shooting for hundreds if not thousands of acres. That's just sitting on a trailer at the ramp. That's something I've never understood either. Why crank your lawnmower 10 minutes before you back it in the water?
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Yeah I remember the days of buddies of mine running drilled out Yamahas running to the bog hole early in the morning and I’d be in stump hole saying yep marshals up lol

Yeah I remember the days of buddies of mine running drilled out Yamahas running to the bog hole early in the morning and I’d be in stump hole saying yep marshals up lol
    Those souped up merc 25's are very loud too.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Aldo Leopold, the father of wildlife management wrote the book Sand County Almanac. Many of you outdoorsman are probably familiar with this book. In the book, Leopold argues that we are responsible for maintaining a "land ethic". This land ethic means we ethically use our natural resources appropriately and honorably. Leopold wrote:

Where do we draw the line at exploiting the resource to kill a few more ducks and exploit a few new wild places?
    most havent read this book
    most wont and cant stop exploiting. not just ducks. most things wild, in general.
    its out of control
    do it for the gram, bo
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    most havent read this book
    most wont and cant stop exploiting. not just ducks. most things wild, in general.
    its out of control
    do it for the gram, bo
    I haven't read his book but my grandaddy told me that he didn't use a mudmotor.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Like I said I don’t care what you think or what you say about me I will explain this one more time and my last time. Do I think mud motors can hurt duck hunting yes I do. Do I think it can help you yes I do and I get the point but I also know where this is going I realize no one on here is blaming mud boats for the only reason we don’t have ducks here in SC. Do I own a mud boat yes I do do people directly say I’m one of the problems yes they do I’ve been accused of jump shooting ducks on here before that’s funny. Let me give you a little run down I made the switch to a mud motor along time ago went to Nab and said man what do I need to do to get one of these long tails. Where I hunt I could really use one and I think it would help me. Knowing I had no business buying one because I couldn’t afford it. So what did Nab do he sold me one on credit lol. People that know me knew I quit every job I had when it came down to duck season I would do everything I could to survive with enough money to be able to hunt and not pay my bills. It got to the point I wouldn’t pay Nab for the motor he had to track down this teenager to get his money. With that being said I can’t say I have never misused a mud motor back in the day because I’m not perfect but I was told and taught by older gentleman how to use it the right way and use it as a tool and I have and do still to this day. Yeah I have swapped up to a surface drive I’m older a lot more comfortable driving and less bruised ribs and thighs. I use my boat for a tool and I use it the right way. Where I hunt a war eagle with a out board will have more hooks and broken foots that you could imagine. I get that loud exhaust and idiots running them threw hurt what little ducks we have here. I’m not a idiot…. I’m just sick and tired of people always blaming a mid motor when it’s not the only issue and I’m sick and tired of getting accused of being one of the people mid using them. I can’t bet you anything there ain’t another person on this site that puts the miles and legwork in this state that I do I put 25,000 miles a year on my truck in this state dragging my boat around trying to find a duck. My mud boat has 2800 hours on it of good use. This thread was started about loud exhaust did I vote absolutely I voted yes ban the loud exhaust. It’s not necessary imo. And if anyone of you would like to ride in my boat next season and do some scouting I will promise and show you it can be done the right way and be very effective while doing it. I hear all the talk about dam mud motors ran all the ducks out watch after the season they will be back. (1) it’s not just a mud motor that ran all the ducks out it’s multiple things did a mud boat contribute sure but so did kids running havocs through them. (2) they went somewhere to get safe and it’s your job as a so called Hunter to go and try and find where they are and be successful. We need more people educating these new hunters like I was I still get educated I don’t think I know everything like most of yall think you do. Need more DNR out there with boats on the water like back in the day writing tickets for people running through ducks. I can promise you back when I was a teenager and Jeff Derrick was around things like this didn’t happen he handled it and prevented it from happening. We don’t have that nowadays. People like some of yall want to get on forums and hide behind keyboards and beat people down instead of helping them. You don’t think it’s true go to a forum on here and click last page and start scrolling forward to now and look and see how many of yall have Changed over the years might make you open your own eyes a little. Ever thought about you might be a lot of the problem with what’s going on in the world of duck hunting??? My guess is probably not because your to hung up on yourself. Do yourself a favor and try and help these kids getting started instead of beating them down. Yes this is a different topic but it all goes together. At least I actually try and help these kids instead of making excuses and beating them down. And it’s just not kids yall do it to grown adults behind keyboards. Yall are miserable and it shows like I said over the years of your post. Yall look for the likes and bandwagon stuff. Did I start a youth of fowl page on facebook and get mad fun of absolutely and I also get told by people I’m wasting my time can’t change them. In all honesty I think the reason some of them can’t be changed is because their parents have beat it into their heads to act the way they do. Let that sink in. But if I can make a impact on a kid or someone new and try and show them the right way which I believe and they want to listen I will do it everyday. Used to really like this site a lot but seems over the years it’s turned into a big reason hunters are the way they are now we blame everything but us the people. The reason you are being restricted out of state is not because of tools it’s because of YOU! Change what you can and that’s You! I’m done with this whole mud motor thing and if they ban everything out there I will like I said find a way to get it done and still chase what I love the most and that’s waterfowl!

P.S…. I did just enough to get out of school so if my mis spelling and long paragraph bothered you I do apologize ahead of time! And yes Happy Friday and Go Tigers!
    I know it's rough on ya Bo
    with mud motors and Climp5in both in the shitter now!

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I know it's rough on ya Bo
    with mud motors and Climp5in both in the shitter now!
    lol nah it’s all good man! Mins in the garage getting a makeover for next season just like Clemson! We good but thanks for checking in!

I know you THINK you know how I use my boat BUT YOU DONT! Just because a leave an area from hunting at higher rpm’s and making noise it doesn’t ruin hunting. Like I told feet’s what’s next we have to use an electric lawnmower because I get up at 6 and cut my grass and YOU are sleeping! Again good luck and happy hunting! And if you want to ride around next season and scout I’ll show you it can be done it’s an open invitation.
    That's fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    That's fucked up.
    You exactly right but I’m afraid that’s the world we live in now.

Felt like this is a great place to post this hope you enjoy! And really hope you listen all the way to the end! Happy Sunday and go Tigers!
    And if you feel like you don’t want to listen to the whole thing just go to about 21:10 mark and listen to the end!

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/xbE...ibextid=w8EBqM
    Last edited by coot nasty; 03-03-2024 at 09:39 AM. Reason: For the ones that don’t care!

Which brings up another point. I’ve seen people literally go into a hole that’s full of Lilly pads and couldn’t get to it by boat had to walk in and literally hear them say I don’t see nothing well maybe they are there and we just can’t see them. Pop a shot off and let’s see if anything gets up! Like I said the Human will find away to mess things up face it.
    I have seen DNR do the same thing to count the ducks using WMA ground. They didn't use guns, they used bottle rockets. Brilliant...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I have seen DNR do the same thing to count the ducks using WMA ground. They didn't use guns, they used bottle rockets. Brilliant...
    That’s crazy we the people are our own enemy.
    Last edited by coot nasty; 03-03-2024 at 11:06 AM.

That’s crazy we the people are our own enemy.
    Your best post yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Your best post yet.
    You are exactly right and that we statement includes everyone!

You are exactly right and that we statement includes everyone!
    Poot Nasty,
    Take me for a ride in it, I found a spot trout fishing that is loaded with ducks and I cant
    get to them. We may be onto something