Thread: Prescribed Burn Question

Default Prescribed Burn Question

I have a few small blocks of pines to burn that are all less than an acre. Is it required to have a certified prescribed fire manager on site in order to get the burn permit?

No. When you call for a permit they will ask if you will have one there.

At least that's what happened last week when I called.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I have a few small blocks of pines to burn that are all less than an acre. Is it required to have a certified prescribed fire manager on site in order to get the burn permit?
    Not at all. We burn 100-150 acres a year without one.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 02-16-2024 at 02:45 PM.

No sir. Call it in, they will ask you some questions and then they will give you a number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're going to ask some questions that you might not have a good guess at, like how many tons of fuel do you plan to burn. They will ask what direction you expect the smoke to go and what is the nearest smoke sensitive entity and how far.

If you haven't done much burning before, keep an eye on wind and relative humidity. When the humidity gets low, stuff burns surprisingly fast and easily.

Thanks fellas that's what I needed to know.

Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

You need to wait a few more weeks until the turkeys start nesting.

Quote Originally Posted by redhead25 View Post
    You need to wait a few more weeks until the turkeys start nesting.
    That’s already starting

Ha, if the forestry division has to bring their dozer to your place they will charge you though !

Quote Originally Posted by VaTransplantDuckHunter View Post
    Ha, if the forestry division has to bring their dozer to your place they will charge you though !
    Not necessarily - I have used them to put in firebreaks at $185/hr and much less for the following hours. Best deal going.

I have had some controlled burns that have gotten out of control and called in the Calvary with no charge.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    Not necessarily - I have used them to put in firebreaks at $185/hr and much less for the following hours. Best deal going.

I have had some controlled burns that have gotten out of control and called in the Calvary with no charge.
    If a burn gets out and the forestry commission has to come out and they find the landowner negligent in anyway there will be a fine issued. I believe that’s what he was insinuating. Now, if the landowner has a CPFM number and they have a proper burn plan, have done the necessary pre-burn work (fire breaks mainly), and followed said burn plan, that will protect them much more than not having the CPFM.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Without being certified, the legal standard is "negligence". With the cert, you have to be proven "grossly negligent". The fact that the fire got out is proof of some level of negligence.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Without being certified, the legal standard is "negligence". With the cert, you have to be proven "grossly negligent". The fact that the fire got out is proof of some level of negligence.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Correct

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

In the old days they used to start them at night and worry about it later.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk