Thread: Collision repair estimate

Default Collision repair estimate

Im looking at purchasing a 2003 gmc sierra. Drivers side bed/rear quarter panel is dented pretty bad. I DONT LIVE IN SC so I can't bring it in locally for an inspection or repair. What I'm hoping for is a ball park of what it would cost to fix to something like this. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

More than it’s worth unless it has stupid low miles maybe. What is seller asking?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Prob cheaper just to find 1 that has been hit in the front and swap the beds out. Not too complicated.
    every expert was once a beginner

Aftermarket bedside is $450 (LMC). Bed has to come off. Remove and replace bedside. Paint. Probably in the $2500 range and paint likely will not match(that paint code has over 20 variants and was used for 30 years).

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Aftermarket bedside is $450 (LMC). Bed has to come off. Remove and replace bedside. Paint. Probably in the $2500 range and paint likely will not match(that paint code has over 20 variants and was used for 30 years).
    Any shop worth their salt will match that paint on the first shot, homie.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Where's that? 75% of painters today couldn't even blend that. Homie.

Edit: in other words, I agree, but I can drive from Camden to Columbia any day and point out 10 bad blends and 20 panel jobs.
    Last edited by CurLee; 01-08-2024 at 09:04 AM.

Go to car-part.com and search the year model and choose Florida yards. You can probably find one the same color.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Where's that? 75% of painters today couldn't even blend that. Homie.

Edit: in other words, I agree, but I can drive from Camden to Columbia any day and point out 10 bad blends and 20 panel jobs.
    Stumpknocker could paint that in his back yard, wet sand and buff any insects out, and guarantee a match.

Just because you see shit body work up and down the interstate doesn't mean that it's a normal occurrence at a reputable shop. I know of a few if you'd like a referral in the midlands (location matters for most of the conglomerates now).

A reputable shop is going to repair the damage to a standard, mix the paint code off the door jam, spray it, and detail it. 99.99% of the folks out there wouldn't be able to tell it from fractory. The 0.01% will only know it's a repair because it's a better finish than factory.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

In all seriousness that dent does not look "too bad" as in I don't see many major creases. I would seriously consider talking with one of the "Paintless dent removal" guys. Its pretty amazing what they can do with a bit of heat and some suction cups. If you want it to look showroom again probably cheaper to find a new bed. Even if its a different color and have it painted.

Hey turbo,

IMG_20240108_102352557_HDR.jpg

I'm just giving the guy a heads up. Painting is not an old man's game, and most of the folks entering the work force in the last 15 years don't have the same work ethic you or I have. A lot of shops are moving away from flat rate pay and going hourly. That means if a guy has to paint a car twice because the first job didn't pass, he still gets paid the same. QC suffers because often enough they get away with it. Flat rate, you're fixing it for free. I don't like to fix shit for free, so I make sure it's right before it gets delivered.

IMG_8915.jpg
    Just slap this on there and roll on.

Kick it in on the opposite side to match and call it a step-side.