Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat Missing

Most all new VHF radios also have the DSC for a distress hail.
    Other vessels & shore stations may hear the call out & see your GPS #'s. (if tied to GPS unit)
    EPIRB & a ditch bag are more important than live bait when going offshore.
    Currents & wind will move floating items accordingly.
    Last edited by DG34YF; 10-24-2023 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Since cellphones have the ability to pinpoint our location without cell service using only GPS ie when using OnX or Navionics, etc, why isn't there the ability to use a cellphone to transmit location and lat long info like the PLB? Can someone locate you (your cell phone) if you are missing?
    Apple iPhones now have the ability to transmit via satellite via messaging if you do not have cell service at no extra fee or subscription. It is a real game changer and there have already been lives saved from it. They caution it does not replace PLBs or EPIRB, but it effectively does the same thing. I will find a link and add it later. MG

From Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 10-24-2023 at 02:56 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Apple iPhones now have the ability to transmit via satellite via messaging if you do not have cell service at no extra fee or subscription. It is a real game changer and there have already been lives saved from it. They caution it does not replace PLBs or EPIRB, but it effectively does the same thing. I will find a link and add it later. MG

From Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426
    The PLB part is a big, big deal for anything outside of the breakers.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I was wrong cajunwannabe. Just stay in water that's no deeper than 35 feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkDave View Post
    The epirb and the liferaft usually have a hydrostatic release on them where they release and activate in the case of a rollover or quick sinking. Of course you can get ahead of the game if you can manually deploy and get a mayday out and some water and anything you may need in case you’re drifting for a while. Colder temps require diff measures. I’ve never had to set one off but have had to clutch one like a football while crew was prepping survival suits and life rafts before we realized our hull was still intact and not compromised after getting run over by a Russian tanker 40nm off Chas in a large t-storm squall. Drill baby drill made our near disaster smoother. Burned one of my nine lives that day. Wabbled in on our own power w the house lifted off the hull and the Stbd steel outrigger bent like a pretzel over the back deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    The PLB part is a big, big deal for anything outside of the breakers.
    I can see where a PLB would be peace of mind anywhere outside of my cell service range. I've MacGyver'd my way back to camp more times than I can count, at some point I'm going to run out of MacGyvering luck.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Man that is terrible.

My heart hurts for their loved ones, never knowing what happened

Prayers this am for all

Man that's tough. I couldn't imagine being lost at sea.

The boat had epirb and distress signals but epirb didn't activate?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Most likely the watch fell asleep and they got run down by a ship. A tale as old as the sea. There are only about a million other things that could have gone down as well...

^^^ thru hull fitting could've failed and bilge couldn't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    ^^^ thru hull fitting could've failed and bilge couldn't keep up.
    You’d think if that happened, they’d get a Mayday out and be able to deploy the EPIRB and get jackets on though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Runaway diesel would be another. Or maybe they were meeting a ship to pick up a package and the deal went wrong. Probably never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    You’d think if that happened, they’d get a Mayday out and be able to deploy the EPIRB and get jackets on though.
    Yep

I am surprised no debris has been found

Might've happened at night while they were sleeping