Thread: Pee Dee boat crash

Default Pee Dee boat crash

Body recovered after two boats crash in South Carolina's Pee Dee River, DNR says

Oct 27, 2023

Stephanie Moore

HORRY COUNTY, S.C. —
    A body was pulled from a South Carolina river after a two-boat crash Thursday morning.

The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources said the crash happened on the Pee Dee River at the Horry-Georgetown County line.

Divers recovered the body of one person involved in the crash.

The victim's names have not been released.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/boat-c...vered/45664783

Horry County Deputy Coroner Patty Bellamy said 79-year-old Harvey Altman died as a result of injuries in the wreck, which involved two boats near the Yauhannah Bridge located along Highway 701.

Altman’s body was recovered by the Horry County Fire Rescue dive team from the Great Pee Dee River after he was reported missing earlier in the day, according to the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.

One man spoke to WMBF News off camera and said Altman was an avid fisherman and a great man.

Benny Carter, another fisher, said he was with Altman along the river on Thursday morning as part of their bass fishing group.

“We have a lot of older fellows, like I said, 60, 70, 80-year-olds that come every Thursday down here and fish with us,” Carter explained.

Carter said that he was stunned that the crash had happened because Altman wasn’t a stranger to the waters.

“I’m a little upset because I don’t know what’s going on. All these guys know how to run boats as good as anybody in this state does, and I don’t know what happened down there unless they hit a log or something that threw them together... I don’t know,” Carter said.

The individual that was with Mr. Altman was taken to the hospital, I haven't heard yet today how he's doing. The driver of the other boat is okay physically. They all knew each other so it's a terrible situation.

I stopped there around 230 yesterday on the way back from Georgetown to dunk my trailer.
    Huge DNR/Fire rescue presence. Saw the news once I got home and realized what was going on. Sad.

DNR looked at me like I was crazy backing my trailer in over and over and then driving off though…

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    I stopped there around 230 yesterday on the way back from Georgetown to dunk my trailer.
    DNR looked at me like I was crazy backing my trailer in over and over and then driving off though…
    I used to have a key to the shriners camp on the Black. It was my trailer wash spot back in the day.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton