Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: F35 Missing - Charleston

Georgia is a penal colony...

The overarching point is that we (USAF) have an aircraft that Combatant Commanders aren't asking for. We supply iron and people to our customer. Our primary customers are the COCOMs. What good does it have to keep an aircraft in the inventory that a Combatant Commander has no use for? It's slow and would likely not survive a fight in a contested environment. The previous environment was uncontested, aside from some ground fire, but no anti-aircraft armament.

That's the driving factors behind the plan to retire all our A-10s by 2029. Of course Congress is not a fan because those Senators/Reps from state that have them don't want their Guards units to lose their mission and bases to potentially close as a result. At least that's my guess.

BUFF will still be around after I retire. It just gets the job done. Seems to me it's a stop gap as we retire the B-1s and get the B-21 built and online, leaving just the B-52 and B-2 to handle the bombing role in the interim. Payload of the B-1 is more than the BUFF, so just seems to me that the BUFF would retire first but they didn't ask for my input.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-22-2023 at 08:30 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I did not know that.

I always thought the BUFF was king when it came to capacity. I didnt realize the B1 was as big as it is. I just looked up the size, I guess its more area dynamic look though me off.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    The overarching point is that we (USAF) have an aircraft that Combatant Commanders aren't asking for. We supply iron and people to our customer. Our primary customers are the COCOMs. What good does it have to keep an aircraft in the inventory that a Combatant Commander has no use for? It's slow and would likely not survive a fight in a contested environment. The previous environment was uncontested, aside from some ground fire, but no anti-aircraft armament.

That's the driving factors behind the plan to retire all our A-10s by 2029. Of course Congress is not a fan because those Senators/Reps from state that have them don't want their Guards units to lose their mission and bases to potentially close as a result. At least that's my guess.

BUFF will still be around after I retire. It just gets the job done. Seems to me it's a stop gap as we retire the B-1s and get the B-21 built and online, leaving just the B-52 and B-2 to handle the bombing role in the interim. Payload of the B-1 is more than the BUFF, so just seems to me that the BUFF would retire first but they didn't ask for my input.

Politics and the industrial military complex is tight interwoven. It is even more obvious when they start talking about closing bases. The local economics depend a great deal on those bases even if the locals dont appreciate them.

A family said they saw the missing F-35 fighter jet flying upside down at just over 100 feet before it crashed
    Story by mloh@insider.com (Matthew Loh) •

"A family in South Carolina said they saw the F-35 jet that went missing this weekend just before it crashed, and noticed that the aircraft was almost inverted and oddly close to the ground.

The Truluck family told NBC News they were celebrating their son's seventh birthday in Williamsburg County on Sunday when they saw the jet and then heard a "boom."

Stephen Truluck said they could see the "canopy" of the aircraft, and that it was about "three quarters" upside down, per NBC News.

His wife, Adrian Truluck, estimated that the jet was "probably 100 feet above the tree tops."

"Our kids always give a little salute, so we said: 'Look at the plane. Oh my gosh, it's so low,'" she told NBC News.

Since they were about 60 miles from Shaw Air Force Base, they didn't think anything was amiss at the time, the outlet reported.

He added that the jet was flying northeast from where his son, Charlton Truluck, was celebrating his birthday at his grandparents' house, per the outlet.

When the family later heard a "boom," they assumed it was thunder, Adrian Truluck told NBC News.

"We were thinking it was rolling thunder and didn't give it another thought until we saw the plane was missing," she said.

But when news emerged on Monday that an advanced F-35 fighter jet had gone missing on Sunday during a training mishap, the family realized the plane they saw was likely the lost aircraft, NBC News reported.

The pilot had ejected from the aircraft, and it's suspected to have kept flying in autopilot mode. On Monday, debris from the jet was found about 80 miles away from where the pilot exited the aircraft.

Meanwhile, another Williamsburg County resident's description of how he heard the F-35 crash has gone viral.

"I heard a screeching. Between a screech and a whistle," Randolph White told local channel WCBD, before demonstrating the screech himself.

"I said, 'What in the world is this?' And I heard a boom!" White added. "And my whole house shook."

The Marine Corps is investigating the incident.

The press service for the Marine Corps did not immediately respond to a request for comment sent outside regular business hours.

The 911 call is out

Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

That call threw the 911 operator for a loop.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

It was hard to listen to
    Seriously, it was painfull

I love the A-10 but agree that it would not survive well against a peer opponent with good air defense. You only have to look at Ukraine to see that.

I also love the B-1 but hear that it's insane to maintain and has had a lot of wear over the last decade of war. Why does the B-52 last so much longer? I don't know. I DO know that they are planning on re-powering the '52s with new engines that will give it more range/efficiency and be cheaper to maintain. They will be upgraded to the B-52J model.

I was daydreaming and thought that the B-1 would be a good thing to put into the maritime strike role with a suitable avionics package and a ton of long range anti-ship missiles. Make the Chinese sweat by stationing them in Australia, Guam, etc.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

B-1s leak about 50 gallons of oil just sitting on the ramp. I had a video from my first deployment of a b-1 taking off about 50 yards from me. Was an insane moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

My son was in the middle east with the Warthogs and he said they chewed some Isis' ass up

Talking about the B-1 dripping oil makes me think of a couple others.

The C-5 is known to be a hydraulics nightmare. They plane is always leaking hydro fluid and the hydro systems are constantly breaking. They say if that jet isn't leaking hydro fluid it's because it's empty and ya better go put some more in.

The SR-71 leaked fuel like a mother while sitting on the ground. Seems like that would be a problem but it's actually the way it was designed because when the plane gets to flying, especially at high speeds, all the friction on the external surfaces including the tanks caused everything to expand, sealing up the holes. It leaked so much maintainers would put catch pans under all the leak points so it didn't just pool up on the concrete.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Talking about the B-1 dripping oil makes me think of a couple others.

The C-5 is known to be a hydraulics nightmare. They plane is always leaking hydro fluid and the hydro systems are constantly breaking. They say if that jet isn't leaking hydro fluid it's because it's empty and ya better go put some more in.

The SR-71 leaked fuel like a mother while sitting on the ground. Seems like that would be a problem but it's actually the way it was designed because when the plane gets to flying, especially at high speeds, all the friction on the external surfaces including the tanks caused everything to expand, sealing up the holes. It leaked so much maintainers would put catch pans under all the leak points so it didn't just pool up on the concrete.

I was gonna mention the sr71, and it being designed that way, when I read about the b1 leaking oil. Is it supposed to leak oil, like the 71 leaked fuel?

Interestingly enough we bought the very titanium from which those were built from from the country they were going to spy on!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

The Lancer's oil leaks were not intentional. Neither were the cabin fires that were known to occur.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A good friend was relating his experience as a contractor on a CH-47 flight in Iraq. He noted it was leaking like a sieve and he asked the crew chief if he needed to worry about it.

The chief said "only if it stops"
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

This could be one of the absolute best recruit videos over. Instead we will parade men with. mental disorders thinking they are the lead singer for Twisted Sister running actual departments in the US government.

Last edited by Silentweapon338; 09-23-2023 at 07:45 PM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Well you knew this was coming