Thread: Wyoming Outfitter suggestions

Default Wyoming Outfitter suggestions

Going to book a 2024 elk hunt and burn my points before the rules change or I get too old to use them. Looking at SNS Outfitters or Thomson Outfitters for a Sept archery hunt. Any one have any experience with either? Anyone else you recommend?

Thanks

I have no direct experience but their reputations are that they are great outfitter. I have talked to both and I think the issue you will run into with them, is they are probably booked until 2027 or so. If I’m remembering right one of the top top outfitters in that list of 6-8 premium outfitters might be something like 2031.

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    I have no direct experience but their reputations are that they are great outfitter. I have talked to both and I think the issue you will run into with them, is they are probably booked until 2027 or so. If I’m remembering right one of the top top outfitters in that list of 6-8 premium outfitters might be something like 2031.
    I got into the preference point game late and only have 5 points. At 59, I won’t be able to wait until I get enough points to hunt a top tier unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a drift boat from one of SNS's guides. Great people IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I bought a drift boat from one of SNS's guides. Great people IMHO...

Good info, thanks

How many points and what unit are you looking to hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    I got into the preference point game late and only have 5 points. At 59, I won’t be able to wait until I get enough points to hunt a top tier unit

Don’t worry I have 11 and won’t be able to either. Point creep is a real thing these days and Wyoming is changing more than any other state.

https://www.bigbuckoutfitters.net/

These guys are legit. I think you could probably draw and hunt 2024, whether they are the “Best” elk group, idk, but they have some pretty good elk each year. Mule deer are legit there too.

I hunted with Chamley outfitters out of Dubois. You can probably draw the archery tag in unit 69. It’s a horseback hunt in amazing country. Wall tents, cook, etc. They run a first class small operation and don’t advertise because they don’t have to. They stay booked up years in advance for rifle but we were able to book the year before our archery hunt. Blake Chamley is solid. You will definitely be into elk most days and don’t trust anyone who promises more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    I hunted with Chamley outfitters out of Dubois. You can probably draw the archery tag in unit 69. It’s a horseback hunt in amazing country. Wall tents, cook, etc. They run a first class small operation and don’t advertise because they don’t have to. They stay booked up years in advance for rifle but we were able to book the year before our archery hunt. Blake Chamley is solid. You will definitely be into elk most days and don’t trust anyone who promises more than that.
    Great info, would you have his contact info?

Disregard, Professor Google had the info.
    Last edited by bbhntr48; 08-07-2023 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Found answer

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    Don’t worry I have 11 and won’t be able to either. Point creep is a real thing these days and Wyoming is changing more than any other state.

https://www.bigbuckoutfitters.net/

These guys are legit. I think you could probably draw and hunt 2024, whether they are the “Best” elk group, idk, but they have some pretty good elk each year. Mule deer are legit there too.
    I went with Brian (Bigbuckoutfitters.net) for my mule deer and goat hunt back in 2019. Top notch outfit for mulie's and goats sure, but not sure elk is his main target. He mainly hunts the mountain unit 36 for the big bulls, which takes quite a few points to draw. He does have some general tag private land, but not sure what caliber bulls it can produce. What's cool about Brian's website is he puts all of last years kill pictures in the yearly brochure. Your not looking at 10+ years of old kills. Check out 2019 brochure 2nd page bottom right. Give Brian a shout and discuss your options, I do remember talking to him last year and he mentioned he had something in the works for some more elk opportunities.

I burnt my points and ended up going with Tyler Sims this year. https://www.tylersims.com/

His general tag hunts (foothills & mountain) usually take 4 points to draw. Who knows if that will creep up next year with all the whoopla going on. I drew with 5 points this year on a foothills area tag. If I remember correctly he told me he had 12K acres of private land that holds a pretty decent resident herd. I'll be able to give you a first hand account after the first week of September.

Good luck Richard!!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

5 points will get you a General Tag. There are some fantastic general tag unit private land hunts available, but they aren’t cheap and you’re may be a couple of years out. The good ones take a limited number of hunters. Unit 2 has been LE for years but just went general. Population is above objectives. It’s an isolated prairie herd with some stud bulls. I’ve deer hunter the fringes. It’s an 8 mile hike or horse ride in to access it via public and there is no water till you get where the elk are. Private access is much better and it’s a good hunt for seasoned flatlanders.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    5 points will get you a General Tag. There are some fantastic general tag unit private land hunts available, but they aren’t cheap and you’re may be a couple of years out. The good ones take a limited number of hunters. Unit 2 has been LE for years but just went general. Population is above objectives. It’s an isolated prairie herd with some stud bulls. I’ve deer hunter the fringes. It’s an 8 mile hike or horse ride in to access it via public and there is no water till you get where the elk are. Private access is much better and it’s a good hunt for seasoned flatlanders.
    Solid info, I will look into this thanks