Thread: Need some advice

Default Need some advice

So I upgraded tractors a few weeks back. Went to a 75 hp kioti with cab. One of my main uses will be in food plotting. My dilemma right now is a don’t really have any implements to I can use with it. I do have a bush hog and a smaller chisel plow but that’s about it.

Before with the smaller tractor I would mow and spray then chisel plow then till with roto tiller and plant. My problem right now is my tractor is too big for my tiller. The gearbox isn’t rated for what my new tractor has.

My advice needed is should I stick with the same type system I have been doing with the chisel plow and roto tiller? Or should I ditch the tiller and go with a disc harrow?

I don’t really have to run the chisel plow through before I till it but it makes it much faster and also keeps me from developing a hard pan. Not sure if I would still need to chisel plow prior to discing or not.

I’m trying to make things quicker and more efficient but I don’t want results to be lacking. I really like the finish and ease of which a roto tiller leaves. I’m kind of concerned if I go to a disc I’m going to be dissappointed with my results.

The discs I have been looking at are anywhere from $4-$5k. I can get a real nice larger tiller for about the same price maybe a little more.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

If I had your money I would go ahead and go no till or something like a Firminator.

Between and disc and a tiller. I like my tiller. It leaves a better seed bed.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 07-16-2023 at 10:54 PM.

My neighbor has one of the tar river no till drills. I haven’t been impressed with it

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    My neighbor has one of the tar river no till drills. I haven’t been impressed with it
    Those are for poor people. The rich ones use Great Plains and such.

It depends on your soil type ... In my mostly clay based land, I disc and Perfecta every year and chisel every
    other year ...Plant with a Great Plains conventional... The Perfecta pays for itself in quality and trips saved.

No-till is useless for my place if you want a quality stand.

We have done food plots with chisel plow (I call them AP plow so I assume same thing ) and then run tiller through it Nice but end of day it is a food plot and that takes a while

Have used disk harrow as well

But for most part, and way I do it near my house, is AP plow then run cultipacker over plowed ground. Spread seed and run cultipacker again and done

My hunting partner does several tracks he owns plus couple others he leases with others, spends more time loading, unloading equipment and mobilization than planting (great guy and one of my dearest friends but he is very anal attentive , hell even sweeps our box stands out with a broom LOL).

He is looking hard at Tar River grain drill
    Last edited by tprice; 07-17-2023 at 05:43 AM.

The Tar River weighs half as much as the Great Plains/ Land Pride. You need the weight for clay soils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yawn
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have a Tar River SAYA505. It has worked great for me. I have yet to add any weight to it. I am in Harleyville so not quite clay soil but def have some spots where its mixed in. If I worried about it cutting, I will wait to plant after a rain. I spray, fertilize, and plant.

A disc isn't a finish tool. You're going to need something to smooth it out. I tried chain drag harrows, spike drag harrows, and a few other things before I broke down and bought a Perfecta. I love the Perfecta. It likes to run fast, like 7.5 or 8 mph and is 10' wide so it makes short work of a field. I don't think I'd enjoy the slow roll of a tiller in a big field.

Keep your chisel plow. Breaking up that hardpan can make a big difference. My place hadn't been deep plowed for many years so I ran over everything with a subsoil blade that ran 2' deep and it made a hell of a difference.

I'm also interested in going no-till. I could add coulters to my planter and get by but I'd need a new drill. I've used my old Van Brunt on unprepared dirt and it does better than you'd expect but a real no-till drill would be nice to have, especially one with an extra small seed hopper.

I’ve also looked at the perfecta. Would a perfecta do ok coming in behind a chisel plow? Or does it need to be rough tilled more than that?

I like the idea of getting away from all the moving parts and the expense of a roto tiller but also don’t really want to double my time or lose a ton of seedbed quality

Get a perfecta and be done with it
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Get a perfecta and be done with it
    Is that what you are using?

labluvr has clay soil, that's for sure.

i sent you a sext.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Chisel every year or two. And I mean a real chisel not a scarfire spring type plow. Disc behind the chisel and then perfecta. Broadcast and cultipack seed. Or grain drill.

Yes I have ran the perfecta directly behind the chisel. It does okay but the turning of the dirt covers the residue better and breaks clods.

I have planted oats and lightly ran the perfecta across as a way to cover and pack. It works too.

Im in Newberry and you are welcome to come by later this summer as I start prepping plots.

Perfecta is the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    I have a Tar River SAYA505. It has worked great for me. I have yet to add any weight to it. I am in Harleyville so not quite clay soil but def have some spots where its mixed in. If I worried about it cutting, I will wait to plant after a rain. I spray, fertilize, and plant.
    Braggart