Thread: BBQ in Lamar SC

Default BBQ in Lamar SC

We have to go to Lamar tomorrow for a funeral and was wondering if there is a good bbq place there to eat at. And no Fish, I'm not going to get chicken strips at the bbq joint. What says the braintrust?
    Last edited by mrtroy4man; 05-26-2023 at 07:25 PM.
    every expert was once a beginner

Nothing BBQ related in Lamar, where are you comin from?

Westwood in Hartsville. It's about 20 minutes out from Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Nothing BBQ related in Lamar, where are you comin from?
    Coming from Goose Creek

If you're coming Hwy 52, stop in Scranton and try The Schoolhouse.

There's a guy from Lamar,last name Gainey,that makes some kickass brisket. He used to do the food court in Florence and would sell out before noon. I heard he opened a restaurant somewhere over that way,....maybe in Hartsville.

Update....it's Backbarn BBQ

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-26-2023 at 10:55 PM.

tom langston had a place on main street, it wasan't a bbq restaurant but he always had bbq there on the weekends and it is good, I havent been there in awhile and not sure if its still open, he also owns cartersville country winery and may have some available there

Went to Westwood, the bbq wasn't bad. The fried chicken and smoked chicken were really good, sides were good, excellent hush puppies and the sweet tea was on point. Ventured in Hartsville for a second and saw a chicken place called Yogi Bears or something along those lines. Must have been good cause the place was packed. Saw a shoneys and almost pulled in to get 1 of those molten lava cakes. Opted out of that and decided to stop by Coopers country store and grab a few bbq sandwiches and boiled peanuts for later this evening.

Cooper Q and country hams are something else
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    Went to Westwood, the bbq wasn't bad. The fried chicken and smoked chicken were really good, sides were good, excellent hush puppies and the sweet tea was on point. Ventured in Hartsville for a second and saw a chicken place called Yogi Bears or something along those lines. Must have been good cause the place was packed. Saw a shoneys and almost pulled in to get 1 of those molten lava cakes. Opted out of that and decided to stop by Coopers country store and grab a few bbq sandwiches and boiled peanuts for later this evening.
    Glad you enjoyed it. New owners but everything is the same. They started adding a few additional things lately and everything new has been good as well. I usually get a little bit of everything and alot of the smoked chicken. Yogi bear isn't the same since it burnt down many years ago. But it still doesn't disappoint either.

Hard to beat a boo boo basket.

10 miles to the north of Lamar is Lydia, SC.... and Tommys Self Service. Right next to Mr. Bs seafood.... Thur, Fri, and Sat only for the smoked chicken, ribs and bbq.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    If you went to Hartsville you should have went to Shugs