Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My daughter & 2yr old Granddaughter want chickens ? Advice

Tprice- I don't know if you're familiar with it, but there's an auction between pelzer and Williamston every Tuesday night that sells chickens. It's over next to where cherokee road crosses 29 (when they get the bridge built). It used to be owned by Phil Hyatt if that name is familiar. There's also a "chicken man" in homeland park if you want to keep your money local.
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Thanks.

Was wondering how many they gonna need, do not want it to over work them but get a good start.

Dumb question but where is best place to get chickens. I have seen some on Craigslist or FB market place. What age do they need to be when we buy them

Friend of mine told me he got his from some man known as “the chicken man” (he was going to see if he still has his contact info )
    You can buy them online or TSC will have them in the spring. Your best best if you're wanting just a couple is to buy them from your local feed store in the spring. They should have them sexed... meaning they hens will be separated from roosters or they will know which are which. At TSC and Southern States it's just a guess as to what you are getting.

Also TPrice... be sure to look at backyardchickens.com. Lots of info there and will blow your mind at some of those coop designs.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I know you're in NC, but I got a fellow military member near me in the midlands who's being moved with a flock of young Rhode Island Reds she needs to rehome. PM me if you're up for the trip.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I may be interested in them or a few of them if he isn't. I only need about 4 and that will be plenty of eggs for us. I got rid of mine a few years ago when I got busy but now my youngest son is old enough to help with them. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I’ve never had chickens, I’d like 3 or 4 though.

I have this old chicken coop that I keep a couple of pigeons in. I would want free ranging chickens, I also want minimal effort. It has a latched door on the side. Could I buy chickens, keep them in the coop for a couple weeks, put a ramp up to the latched door, let them out after they’ve “homed”, make sure they’re fed, and call it a day? Am I missing anything?

Attachment 82538
    I had a very similar setup for my chickens. It was a former guinea roost box that I built a ramp up to. I put it in a 10x10 dog kennel with a hog wire top and built a laying box with a hinged lid that I cut a hole in the chain link for. It stuck out of the kennel/coop through the fence so I could collect eggs without going in the coop. They would free range most days if the dogs weren't out and I would just close the gate at night to keep the critters out. I think I kept them in there for the first couple weeks and they would go back in by themselves in the evenings after that. I also had one of these attached to a garden hose so I never had to mess with water unless it was below freezing: https://www.strombergschickens.com/p...atic-waterers/.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I may be interested in them or a few of them if he isn't. I only need about 4 and that will be plenty of eggs for us. I got rid of mine a few years ago when I got busy but now my youngest son is old enough to help with them. Let me know.
    All yours Kirk.

Just a couple chickens turns into this… and that’s not all of them.
    D4EE9978-E1FF-4BD9-9425-A638AB58B097.jpg
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    Tprice- I don't know if you're familiar with it, but there's an auction between pelzer and Williamston every Tuesday night that sells chickens. It's over next to where cherokee road crosses 29 (when they get the bridge built). It used to be owned by Phil Hyatt if that name is familiar. There's also a "chicken man" in homeland park if you want to keep your money local.
    Thanks.

Daughter is teacher at Homeland Park so I will tell her to ask
    Last edited by tprice; 03-23-2023 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Just a couple chickens turns into this… and that’s not all of them.
    D4EE9978-E1FF-4BD9-9425-A638AB58B097.jpg

They got a pond behind the new house, I am sure ducks will be next LOL