Thread: Best beginner mouth calls

Default Best beginner mouth calls

What do yall recommend for a beginner?

Here we go.
    Out comes the turkey poetry gurus
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

red perfection single reed

dont try any crazy weird ass cut triple thunder bullshit.

learn to call softly with a single reed.

i'd also suggest NOT trying to trim a mouth call. I am fairly well knowledged about palate shapes and have never cut a mouth call to fit any better than it did when i bought it.

i use ONE mouth call. its a double reed with a small v cut. what I like about it is the call gets softer with age and conforms to fit me until I lose it or get enough dip spit on it that it smells funny...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I think a double reed with a small gap, like the old Primos Deadly Double, is the easiest call to get decent rasp with. Super easy to "run" (hate that dang term).
    Carolina Counsel

Get a few different cuts and try them out. I personally think a bat wing type is the easiest to blow. I hate single V cuts, but that's not saying they aren't any good.

Like Drakey said, get several different cuts so you can figure out what suits you best. Everyone is different in how they move air.

Bat wing or ghost cut seem to be the easiest to get to sound decent. I think the triple reed's are actually easier to get sounding like a turkey than anything out there. That said, I can make the Woodhaven Toxic Orange...not sure, but its a Woodhaven orange call...sound great, and I can take ten other different calls with the same reed configuration and same cut and sound like a 4 year old trying to learn to play an oboe on them. I keep buying different brands and cuts each year, and each year, turkey's die when I have that orange wood haven in my mouth.

I would only give one piece of advice, and it may be completely wrong, but I would not buy or even try to blow an offset cut call until/unless you determine that you can not get a center cut call to make consistent sounds. The offset cut calls supposedly work for folks who naturally channel the air off to one side of their mouth or the other, and when I've tried them, I can't get consistent sounds with them.

I am a novice to whatever is just above novice when it comes to running a call, so take what I've said with that understanding. That said, novice calling can and will kill you most any turkey in the woods. Watch some Meat Eater turkey hunting episodes, and Steve will prove this fact beyond any reasonable doubt. It's more about being where the turkey will go when he hears you and/or being where the turkey wants to be and/or your hide//cover/shadows and/or learning when to call and when to shut up. And don't forget about luck.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Oh...google Shane Simpson mouth call instruction or how to blow a diaphragm call Shane Simpson. He has as good of an instructional video as I've ever seen explaining why the different cuts and reed configurations do what they do and how to blow each of them and how to determine if a left or right cut call would be better for you etc. It was a big help to me bumping my calling up a notch, and I wish I had watched the video back when I started to use diaphragm calls.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 03-02-2023 at 03:32 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Bend the shit out of it. (Doghouse it) metal bump down ,cut a lot of the outside fabric off it, 80 %, quaker boy nasty ol hen or otherwise mega raspy cutter. It will take a couple of years to learn how to cut\putt. Teach em what gets results. When you sound like a loud ass hen, it works.

Woodhaven Red Wasp is a easy call for me. Primos has some pretty good videos that Troy (I think) covers the “how to” of mouth calls. You are gonna need to ride around with it in your truck and practice a lot. Eventually you’ll stumble into the right position for you to make it work. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    Bend the shit out of it. (Doghouse it) metal bump down ,cut a lot of the outside fabric off it, 80 %, quaker boy nasty ol hen or otherwise mega raspy cutter. It will take a couple of years to learn how to cut\putt. Teach em what gets results. When you sound like a loud ass hen, it works.
    Few years to cut and putt? I hope not. Maybe a few weeks. And I wouldn’t recommend putting- ever. Learn how to yelp, purr and cut and go kill stuff.
    Carolina Counsel

Bat wing cut on top of two prophylactic reeds

If you can just learn to yelp and cut you’ll be in good shape to kill and locate turkeys. I still can’t purr worth a crap on a mouth call.

The less reeds and less aggressive cuts are esier to run. Woodhaven makes some calls with red latex that are user friendly IMO, though Woodhaven is definitely proud of their product... You really just have to try all of the cuts to know what works for you, just like a duck call. I'm unusual in that I run more aggressive cuts better, like combo cuts. I have a hard time with ghost cuts and V cuts. And if it's any encouragement, I STILL can't purr worth a crap on a mouth call and I've been working on mouth calling for about 4 years. Just one of those things I may never be able to do. Oh well, that's why I always have pot calls with me.
    Last edited by pluffmudder; 03-04-2023 at 06:50 AM.