Thread: Gun Transport in National Forest Question

Default Gun Transport in National Forest Question

I have a place to hunt (large private tract) that requires me to drive through a National Forest tract on a state named and maintained road. Question came up about having rifles unloaded and in a case while driving through the NF land. Not concerned about the unloading part, but the cased part I do question. Below is all the regulation I can find on gun transport on NF land, which makes me believe rifles do not have to be cased while driving through as they do on state WMA lands.

“All firearms and bows with arrows should be cased and unloaded while in a recreation area or other public areas.”

https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/know-b...you-go/hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Case it

Wouldn't the hunt area be included in other public areas?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

gun has to be in a case.

in the upstate it’s the only thing they care about.
    Windows Down!

USFS is partnered with SCDNR so all NF falls under general WMA regulations.

Gravel roads only

Yes gun needs to be cased and unloaded. Also make sure there’s no rounds in the gun. If you have rounds in the magazine and magazine is in the gun it’s considered loaded even if there’s not one in the chamber. Almost got a ticket for that years ago on national forest land.
    More Ducks, Less People

What they said plus, make sure the case is closed/zippered up. The rabbit sheriff gave me grief in the SNF years ago because my shotgun case ( a old favorite, well used case) had a busted zipper on it and couldn't be zipped closed all the way.

I'm just glad he didn't look in the cooler.

Thanks fellas.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

If it is a state road (state name or road number) it falls under state law. No restriction on transport of long guns. If it is a Forrest service road it falls under the GMA rules. Unloaded and cased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unload it and case it. The more you choose to skirt the law the more degrees of separation you’d best be putting between yourself and the gun. Meaning, if you want to leave shells in the mag (which I am very prone to do out of habit) then you would be better off having the case locked or in the inaccessible bed of the truck or both. Or…..you could simply take the shells out of it and put it in a closed case.

My buddy almost got a ticket after he dunked his shotgun on a duck hunt. Didn't want to put a wet gun in a case so just laid it on a towel driving home. He got stopped and game checked and DNR wanted to write him a ticket. Got it down to just a warning but that was after 15 minutes of pleading his case. Have had DNR check if my gun was in case and not even ask to see the ducks in the back.