Thread: Put an Aimpoint on my AR

Default Put an Aimpoint on my AR

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet but I think I will be quiet satisfied. I'm new to the whole red-dot thing but I like it alot. Clicked it in to where my irons are aiming so I think it should be close to zeroed. I think I will like being able to use my flip up rear sight in conjunction with it for very precise shots.

Its is pretty badass looking I know that. I'll post up pics later
    Last edited by walt4dun; 10-28-2008 at 11:16 PM.

Which Aimpoint did you get? I'm Jonesin' for the Comp M4s.... with the 3x magnifier in a QD swing-out mount behind it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

been wondering bout those, even though it'll be a month or two before getting anything.....other than the red dot or hologram, what's the advantage over a typical scope?

It's a CompM2 4MOA dot

Here are the pics:

tradorion Coots

Default Red Dots ROCK!!

My only complaint is after shooting them for year and taking them off (or getting a gun with straight iron sights) you have become ingrained (during fast shooting especially) to hold your head up making the transition back to iron sights harder to do...

Still the things are badass--

For whoever asked about the pluses/minuses- the down side is NO magnification in most red dots so longer shots (250-500yds) can be a stretch... thus SwampRatz desire for the additional magnifier to be used as needed...

the major plus is SPEEEEEEED of shot and follow up shots ALLLL DAY LOOOONG!!!

I am going to buy an AimPoint and test extensively here shortly but so far my favorite is still the Trijicon Reflex with triangle or chevron aiming point...

T

Congrats! You'll love it! I sure as hell know that I enjoy mine every time I take any of them out!

Trad, the biggest complaint I have heard about the Trijicon Reflex is that it is hard to pick up the reticle in a CQB indoors situation at times. Still, it's a neat site. I especially like the 12 MOA triangle reticle... zero it at 100 or 200 yards to hit point of aim at the tip of the triangle so you can do "precision" aiming. Up close, just paste the triangle center-mass and let 'em hold it.

To me, there are three primary contenders in AR optics... and then some higher-end stuff that I can't afford... and some lesser-knowns that I am still not sure about regarding durability.

The three primary contenders, as far as I am concerned, are:

1. Aimpoint
    2. EOTech (Holosight)
    3. Trijicon ACOG
    Each has it's good and not-so-good points, from what I can tell in reading and research.

Aimpoint - great battery life (when it's measured in YEARS - and, yes, that's with it turned on - I am impressed). Noted for durability - in use by the US military now and in the past. Simple reticle (it's just a dot...). FAST, and, with a 3x magnifier, usable at longer ranges. Downside... well, the reticle's simplicity means it has no BDC function.

EOTech - Another fast reticle, has some ranging and lead computation built into the reticle (especially the new model, with BDC hold-overs). Not sure about the durability, and the battery life is not near as good as the Aimpoint. Also has a magnifier option.

ACOG - Not a "1x" sight... vary from 3.5 to 6x or so. They are supposed to relatively fast, using what is known as the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC) in certain models, for fast CQB shooting. Not sure how that works... They have a wider array of reticle options, almost all with BDC holdovers. Strong and rugged. NO BATTERY - it doesn't need it. Uses fiber optics for daytime shooting, tritium illumination at night. They are more pesos than the above two by a good margin.

What I like about the newest Aimpoints and EOTechs is that they use regular AA batteries.

There are others - Doctor or Burris dot sights, Trijicon Tri-Power or Reflex, even Burris makes a combo dot/telescopic sight that I know little or nothing about. The MACK DADDY true telescopic sight for the AR would have to be the Schmidt and Bender 1-4x with the "Flash Dot" reticle... ohhhhh, yes.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

how much one of those guns cost umcsilver?.... just wondering.... i would like to have one but know nothing about them

tradorion Coots

Default Current use

I have the triangle Reflex in current use on my Armalite for about 3 years now... As noted using the tip of the triangle for your point of aim you can indeed get some great groups/accuracy... and up close you just plaster the whole triangle on your target and go to town.

I have not run it indoors other than snap-cap training in the house- where i see the triangle OK- i have run it outdoors from dusk-dark through bright sunlight through clouds/rain and everything in between- so far the things rocks all the way around.

I am going to buy an Aimpoint- may be two if i like the first- but I also know that I like the Reflex enough to buy a second.

R

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    how much one of those guns cost umcsilver?.... just wondering.... i would like to have one but know nothing about them
    Depends on if you mean basic price for a basic rifle, or if you mean priced like they are set-up now.

From left to right, as far as just basic rifle costs with no goodies, I'd estimate:

FAL -- $1,000
    HK93 -- $2,800
    Bushmaster M4(gery) -- $900
    ditto

If you're talking about having the AR's "goodified" then you can figure in an extra $1.5-2k or so.