Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterfowl Books

What was the site other than amazon that deals in used books?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

sand county almanac
    deep enough for ivorybills
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    What was the site other than amazon that deals in used books?
    I find good deals on eBay.

Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I've been on a Cormac McCarthy binge lately.

Blood Meridian - probably my favorite book of all time, Judge Holden is the best 'bad guy' ever created IMO
    Suttree - also one of my favorites, think Huck Finn if he was a grown delinquent river rat, and all his friends were also a bunch of rednecks who were always up to something.
    Border Trilogy - haven't read it yet, it's next on the docket (3 books, All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities on the Plain). Looking forward to it.
    The Road - good book, not my favorite, worth a read.
    No Country for Old Men - book is better in my opinion, haven't read it in years, need to read it again.
    yeah, mccarthy is the greatest living american writer. he's got two new works coming out this year that i'm looking forward to. first books he's released in some years.

the border trilogy or the road are good starting points for mccarthy. his writing is unlike any other and can be difficult to decipher with the lack of punctuation and quotation marks. i read blood meridian first and while it's a great book, it was hard at times to figure out exactly what was going on. have suttree on my nightstand but haven't started it yet.

havilah babcock is great and he's got roots in south carolina, taught at usc for years.

a southern sportsman by henry edwards davis was a great read as well.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    yeah, mccarthy is the greatest living american writer. he's got two new works coming out this year that i'm looking forward to. first books he's released in some years.

the border trilogy or the road are good starting points for mccarthy. his writing is unlike any other and can be difficult to decipher with the lack of punctuation and quotation marks. i read blood meridian first and while it's a great book, it was hard at times to figure out exactly what was going on. have suttree on my nightstand but haven't started it yet.

havilah babcock is great and he's got roots in south carolina, taught at usc for years.

a southern sportsman by henry edwards davis was a great read as well.

I pre-ordered his new books today, after I made that post it reminded me I needed to do that.

I used reddit and other forums a lot when I read Blood Meridian, it really helped explain some of the symbolism and what other people interpreted. There's a notes book that a lot of people keep in hand when reading so they can refer to it. I didn't have much trouble understanding what was going on at the surface, but what I did learn is that there is a lot more going on that has to be interpreted by the reader, and honestly makes the book even better once you dig into it. I need to re-read it.

Suttree is similar reading in my opinion, you can't just read it and ingest it, it takes some thought and you have to actually read it, not just gloss over it. It's also like Blood Meridian in that you'll see multiple words on each page you've never even heard of, but he uses them in a way that you still know what they mean ... if that makes sense. That and Suttree is hilarious. You'll like it, the man is a genius.

Ten Was the Deal and We'll Do It Tomorrow are both good. I like anything by Roger Pinckney.

There are some anthologies of waterfowling tales written at the turn of the previous century - Wildfowling Tales, Old Wildfowling Tales, etc. I love these old "me and Joe" type stories. Some of these writers document leaving the "city" - I assume New York or Chicago - taking a train to the NC coast then mule wagon, steam ship, etc. then have to paddle the tide to finally reach their waterfowling destination. It seems to be common for them to jump on a train carrying their shotguns. Things have certainly changed, some for the better, some for the worse.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    sand county almanac
    deep enough for ivorybills
    Deep Enough For Ivorybills paints beautiful pictures for the imagination. It's a great book.
    S.C. - Standing alone against Northern aggression since 1861 (LAT)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing View Post
    Deep Enough For Ivorybills paints beautiful pictures for the imagination. It's a great book.
    It is a great book indeed. For those unaware, Kilgo was a proud South Carolinian. Some of the place Kilgo writes about in Georgia were my stomping grounds as a young man.

Reading about him shooting ducks along the Oconee and Apalachee rivers bring back great memories. Not many ducks to be found there now . We killed Black ducks on the reg back in the early '80s. When Lake Oconee was completed in 1979, it flooded some river bottoms into incredibly good duck habitat Now? Shooting a wood duck would be a welcome present. Things have changes shonuf.

During Kilgo's time on the staff at UGA , he was much beloved. I was able to sit in on a seminar in 1981 where he dissected John Kennedy Toole's marvelous book "A Confederacy of Dunces" He called it an undiscovered masterpiece and was right. I have read it many times since.

If anyone here hasn't read "Ivorybills" it gets my highest recommendation. Reviving this thread will make me open the bookcase and grab my copy and start the journey again tonight. Kilgo's last work " Colors of Africa" is another book that will draw you in.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

anyone who takes a shit at limbo will have a lot of these within arms length....

just sayin
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Blood Meridian was mentioned, and is the finest piece of American literature on this thread.

Harry Crews: A Childhood The Biography of a Place is the only thing I can think of that moves me like Blood Meridian, and it's not fiction. Stories of a sharecropper family growing up in Bacon County, GA with violence, depravity, and good old down home feels that rich kids never felt. Stories of healers that could "talk the fire out of you" if you were burned badly, sometimes kids get slung in the hog scalding pot. Its a read

And Huntinghagen, theJudge is still dancing
    Last edited by Nines; 06-16-2022 at 06:43 AM.