Thread: Vinyl Coated Chain Link Install

Default Vinyl Coated Chain Link Install

I need to have a small portion of the back of my property fenced for my new dog kennels (regular dog kennels on a pad, fenced area they can run in outside of kennels). It's 210' linear feet, 2 standard gates, 4' high, vinyl coated chain link, 4 corners (no wild designs). Nothing extra, just those items.

Just got a quote back for $6,556.00, $30/linear foot, and they're 2 months out.

I don't keep up with the fencing market, is that par for the course, or high? Seemed really high to me. Was planning on hiring the job out, but with these prices I'll probably go the DIY route.

At 4ft I would get a 200' roll of non climb horse fence for $369 and adjust your perimeter to make it work. Or you could get another 100' roll and still come out waaaaay better than $6k.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    At 4ft I would get a 200' roll of non climb horse fence for $369 and adjust your perimeter to make it work. Or you could get another 100' roll and still come out waaaaay better than $6k.
    That's the plan if I can't find someone to do vinyl coated at a reasonable price. Wooden posts, horse fence attached to it.

Fence pricing has gone through the roof. I took another price increase last week and that now makes it up around 117% since Jan 2021.

I ran some quick numbers on what you provided and it's close to $4k in the cost of the materials. I buy direct from the manufacturer, so if it's a small guy then he is paying the distributors mark up as well.

I had 800 feet installed a few months ago for right at $10,000. I also split the increase with him since it was quoted two months prior.
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    Fence pricing has gone through the roof. I took another price increase last week and that now makes it up around 117% since Jan 2021.

I ran some quick numbers on what you provided and it's close to $4k in the cost of the materials. I buy direct from the manufacturer, so if it's a small guy then he is paying the distributors mark up as well.
    I believe it's the largest fence contractor in the county. Already deleted the quote, but it was around $3600 in materials and $2900 in labor.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I believe it's the largest fence contractor in the county. Already deleted the quote, but it was around $3600 in materials and $2900 in labor.
    Sounds about right. It was probably residential grade mesh. My tennis court stuff is a little heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkiller View Post
    I had 800 feet installed a few months ago for right at $10,000. I also split the increase with him since it was quoted two months prior.
    He split it with you?

That was mighty generous of him.

Sounds like a DIY job might be in your future. I put up my own vinyl coated chain link around my backyard in 2010ish. Picked up the materials from some store in Cayce right near the airport. Forget the name of the place. They had all the stuff and were priced better than anyone else around.

Lowes sells the black fence these days and all the nuts/bolts. Not sure which would be cheaper. If you know anyone that's military or retired, get 'em to make the trip to Lowes with ya, that'll save you 10% on materials.

It ain't hard, just time consuming. I used a 4 wheeler to pull the fence taut but you could easily use a vehicle if need be. Set the corner posts in concrete, drive line posts in the ground about every 10', install top rail, stretch fence. A little black spray paint to touch up the spots where vinyl peeled while driving in the line posts and viola.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-26-2022 at 11:57 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft