Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gifts for Land Owner

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I have free reign over a few hundred acres right at my house. I’ve offered to pay, they won’t let me. I’d like to get them (father, and son who’s around 30) a gift for Christmas in appreciation. They’re not drinkers, other than beer. I’m not going to buy beer as a gift, and a nice bottle of liquor isn’t an option. They’re not big hunters at all. Thought about a nice knife, and that’s a possibility. Thinking budget will be around $200 total.

Any recommendations?
    holygrailsteak.com

As a landowner let me just say that the gift of loader tractor would go a long way. N/K.
    The gift of help can never be beat.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Buy them a bunch of shrimp. Inlanders love some good shrimp.
    DILLIGAF

Them homemade pies are a real nice touch!
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    Small yeti with iced down bud diesels.
    This

I need to start letting some of y’all hunt my land. I have half a dozen tracts I let people hunt for free and hardly get a thank you.

I have a friend who has lost half of the great duck holes between here and Nashville because he is too cheap to properly buy a Honey Baked ham or cooler of shrimp etc for a farmer who couldn't care less about ducks or thank you's.

We used to carry shrimp 3000 miles to Canada to hand out for duck hole appreciation suppers we would put on. Talk about paying dividends...

We trucked shrimp and oysters out west, boiled pnuts, hushpuppies. Things they cant get. The kids are getting ready to get a box of Moonpies, never heard of them.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    I need to start letting some of y’all hunt my land. I have half a dozen tracts I let people hunt for free and hardly get a thank you.
    Send em my way and I'll have a cooler, home made pie, and thank you note in the mail. Deer season isn't too long up here, need something to shoot in August and September.

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    Gratitude seems to be the most disposable of virtues, unfortunately.

Unless committed, and something to consider for future reference, when momma's happy, everybody is happy.

Rent a condo for a weekend somewhere close enough for convenience but far enough away to be a weekend away. If you're feeling generous, get him a round of golf and maybe buy them a dinner at a local eatery.

We used to hunt with some guys up in NC and we'd come up a few weekends a year and in return, we'd put them up in somewhere in Myrtle (offseason) to catch an Opry show, or golf. They loved that shit.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I knew it was coming.

And yeah...jumping in to pay the tax bill...that's gold there too.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I wouldn't send an enemy to Myrtle Beach. I love Boone, but the one problem is it's basically an island. You're bare minimum an hour to 90 minutes from any where else, hell it takes an hour to get from one end of the county to the other. Any beach is a haul, no real reason to send them to other mountain destinations being where we are, and I don't get the sense they really want to go anywhere. Definitely something to think on though.

I like the tax idea, I'm going to hold off until I have access for a couple more years though (on year 2 now, first full season). Need to find out how much that will run, several hundred acres + a rental property, and 2 primary residences including a 3000 +/- sqft house are on the plat. Likely a business tied to it as well. They're one of those families that have been in the areas for 4-6 generations and no one has ever sold anything, they have land and properties scattered around everywhere. I like the thought though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Depending on their marital status, get a pair of hookers.
    and a bag of toot

Offer them a premium membership to Scducks=Invaluable!
    Low country redneck who moved north

I had a older gentleman that only wanted to turkey hunt. He would always hand write a note and then chronicle his hunts. Not just how many hens and gobbles, but what he got to experience and what it meant to be in the outdoors. It was nice to read. It may mean even more to someone that wasn’t a hunter. And the tax bill is a good one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I wouldn't send an enemy to Myrtle Beach. I love Boone, but the one problem is it's basically an island. You're bare minimum an hour to 90 minutes from any where else, hell it takes an hour to get from one end of the county to the other. Any beach is a haul, no real reason to send them to other mountain destinations being where we are, and I don't get the sense they really want to go anywhere. Definitely something to think on though.

I like the tax idea, I'm going to hold off until I have access for a couple more years though (on year 2 now, first full season). Need to find out how much that will run, several hundred acres + a rental property, and 2 primary residences including a 3000 +/- sqft house are on the plat. Likely a business tied to it as well. They're one of those families that have been in the areas for 4-6 generations and no one has ever sold anything, they have land and properties scattered around everywhere. I like the thought though.
    The residences and business if it includes a building should be on their own pieces of property for tax purposes. The raw land should be a standalone parcel in timber/ag for the same reason. I know taxes aren’t comparable between Abbeville and Boone, but 117 Abbeville Co. acres in timber is $175/year.