Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Most private schools are non-profit.
    Most private schools have some sort of scholarship program for low income families obviously on a limited basis.
    That said, money is tight in most private schools.....Fundraisers are so important to making ends meet in the school and every student counts.
    I am sure were a child to be admitted under this grant program, chances are strong there will be scholarship money available in the future.
    All parents should have a choice regarding where their child goes to school.
    No one should be forced to send their child to a shitty school district!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Default Teachers

10,500 x 5000 = $52.5 million vs $34 million. Seems like public schools would benefit from less students.

Public schools want to retain certain students to keep test score averages up I assume.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 07-21-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Buckle up. The Reps are discussing another $105 billion for education. More vouchers $.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Private school is a waste of money. Shouldn’t get a dime of public funding.

SDS class of 97
    I think that largely depends on what district you live in.

Teachers unions in FL are suing the the governor and government because they are forcing them back to school. Is this the catalyst that changes public school forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Buckle up. The Reps are discussing another $105 billion for education. More vouchers $.
    Elaborate

The SCOTUS ruled last month that schools cannot be discriminated against because of religion with grants or tax credits. Teachers Unions were on fire. McMaster is sending a FU back to them. Pence in the state so buzz word is theocrats.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/u...hools-aid.html
    Thanks! I don’t really see how that’s discrimination since that would be separation of church and state but I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I am sure were a child to be admitted under this grant program, chances are strong there will be scholarship money available in the future.
    All parents should have a choice regarding where their child goes to school.
    No one should be forced to send their child to a shitty school district!
    Especially if they can play ball, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    Especially if they can play ball, right?
    At local institutions (Hammond......cough, cough), they call it an Art Scholarship for the gifted in sports that end in "ball". Que ToothDoc here shortly....hehehe.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Elaborate
    Next stimulus package will have a billion for education. The court win was big for school choice. Red state governors will do what McMasters is doing. Leatherman has to be for to be tied he cannot get his hands on all that cash. That is an assumption.

Thanks! I don’t really see how that’s discrimination since that would be separation of church and state but I get it.
    Without holding grant money that other secular institutions could receive would be discriminatory in my view. But I believe the Forefathers the government would be England with a state church.

Without holding grant money that other secular institutions could receive would be discriminatory in my view. But I believe the Forefathers the government would be England with a state church.
    So now technically I could (if I was one) start up an Islamic private school in SC and everybody would be totally fine with me receiving state and federal funding to prepare and mold the minds of our youth.

With these pop-up private schools starting up because of the virus, I wonder if they can use the money to attend Mrs. Johnson’s class in her sunroom. Bring a sack lunch kids.

Leatherman has to be for to be tied he cannot get his hands on all that cash. That is an assumption.
    No worries. His eyes are riveted on that $1.5 Trillion Infrastructure Bill...

So now technically I could (if I was one) start up an Islamic private school in SC and everybody would be totally fine with me receiving state and federal funding to prepare and mold the minds of our youth.

With these pop-up private schools starting up because of the virus, I wonder if they can use the money to attend Mrs. Johnson’s class in her sunroom. Bring a sack lunch kids.
    It is a grant from the state to use how you want toward education. Something like lottery money. If they take $10.5k off the table for public with $5500 it works for me.

It is a grant from the state to use how you want toward education. Something like lottery money. If they take $10.5k off the table for public with $5500 it works for me.
    This money won’t pull from the per pupil spending that is already in the state budget. So we won’t have to worry about that.

Correct. But it will free up over $50 million because those students will not attend public schools. Those opposed to vouchers do so because they know the outcome. Concern parents will use private schools and the public schools will be left the students from parents that do care then the fear of competition. Teacher pay will be based on merit not a power pay scale. Private schools will do less with more and produce better results. Competition is good. They would not have layers of bureaucracy to deal with and will be able to suspend to kick out problem children. There would be many six figure administrators that would hate to see their job go away.

And those teachers that did not want to go back could be replaced.

Correct. But it will free up over $50 million because those students will not attend public schools. Those opposed to vouchers do so because they know the outcome. Concern parents will use private schools and the public schools will be left the students from parents that do care then the fear of competition. Teacher pay will be based on merit not a power pay scale. Private schools will do less with more and produce better results. Competition is good. They would not have layers of bureaucracy to deal with and will be able to suspend to kick out problem children. There would be many six figure administrators that would hate to see their job go away.
    What would you propose as a merit system or performance indicators for educator pay?
    You have a valid point on cleaning out administrative positions and positions created for family and friends or for that ball coach whose wife needs a job but isn’t qualified to do much.

Simple job performance. A private employer has a much better ability to evaluate their talent than public schools and standardized testing. Each one could determine their own metrics. With as a many private schools I am sure are many templates to use. The teachers I know can tell you the bads. I think the system is too bloated to even revamp. My oldest was in the top 10% of her class in AP/Honors courses until she graduated. My youngest is in top 1%. Seem like two or three different schools wrapped one. It seems as they always had the best teachers. In elementary I played the game of getting them in a school that was outside our zone and teacher selecting. SC would be better to get a bunch teachers out of the pension program and extend to 35 years for new hires. Using SC as a benchmark a career is now 45 years.

It’s going to be interesting. My wife just got home and said that 4 of her friends (independently) told her today they are homeschooling from now on. With us, that’s 5 that we know of just in our small little group. Can’t imagine what the total number is going to be homeschooling vs going to school. And by that I mean option 2 or 3. Not the state/district run classes where you still report to the school.