Thread: Private Seller - Shipping Vehicle

Default Private Seller - Shipping Vehicle

I'm in talks with a guy about a truck in Oregon. It's a pretty unique vehicle and there are none for sale outside of Oregon right now. It's through a private seller. I've bought plenty of vehicles, but it's always been face to face. Has anyone ever bought a vehicle from a private individual and had it shipped? I don't have any indication that this guy would try to screw me out of money, but I want to make sure that he couldn't do it even if he wanted too. Would using an attorney as an intermediary work? Is there a company that provides a service like this?

I thought that was a conversation about this on here a few years ago. Seems there was a company that took care of the shipping and held the funds in escrow.

Uship.com

I had our Series 200 shipped from Atlanta sight unseen by me. I did have my BIL and SIL look at it but they know nothing about automobiles, they trade them when the tires get worn out. Could you hire a surveyor much like a boat purchase?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

My FIL bought an antique car over the internet last year with no problems whatsoever.

Wifey bought an older jeep over the internet a couple months back. Dealer drove it to our house and drove our trade-in back to the car lot over an hour away. I gotta say it was the most pleasant vehicle buying experience of my adult life.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I had our Series 200 shipped from Atlanta sight unseen by me. I did have my BIL and SIL look at it but they know nothing about automobiles, they trade them when the tires get worn out. Could you hire a surveyor much like a boat purchase?
    I'm not too worried about the condition. I've received a lot of pictures and video, and I know who originally built it up. My main worry, which has been somewhat alleviated, is that I send the money for the vehicle and then the person drops off the face of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post

Also, because I know you’ll appreciate it, this is what I’m working on. Not a done deal, but trending in the right direction. 1991 75 Series Dual Cab Land Cruiser, Diesel engine.

C3292834-6EDC-469C-8F7A-25AE98480CE9.jpg

Dats nice Clark... reeeeeal nice!

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    My FIL bought an antique car over the internet last year with no problems whatsoever.

Wifey bought an older jeep over the internet a couple months back. Dealer drove it to our house and drove our trade-in back to the car lot over an hour away. I gotta say it was the most pleasant vehicle buying experience of my adult life.
    Wifey? Are you from Ohio?

Very Nice looking vehicle Jacob!
    Last edited by CAJUN LAB; 05-15-2020 at 12:04 PM.

I’ve bought a bunch of Rovers from people that I have never laid eyes on.....including Oregon, California, Michigan and the UK.

I usually just work out a 50% payment.......then a copy of the signed title......then the vehicle ships and I pay the balance. I’ve not been screwed yet.

If it’s over $15K-$20K, I’d get my ass on a plane and do the deal in person. $1000 on a ticket is chump change when you are talking about a large purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Also, because I know you’ll appreciate it, this is what I’m working on. Not a done deal, but trending in the right direction. 1991 75 Series Dual Cab Land Cruiser, Diesel engine.

C3292834-6EDC-469C-8F7A-25AE98480CE9.jpg
    Dude. Come on. You're killing me.

I'd just get a buddy and drive to Oregon to pick it up today because that thing is cool as hell.

I am ain’t knocking the vehicle but I would rather have the dozer.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    I'd just get a buddy and drive to Oregon to pick it up today because that thing is cool as hell.
    As of right now, he's going to sell it to me. We've agreed on the price after a long phone conversation a while ago. I hope it goes to plan and I have it in NC in the coming weeks.

My dream truck is a 79 series factory dual cab. Imported trucks have to be 25+ years old, so I won't be getting one of those until 2035 if I remember right. This is #2 on the dream list. Perfectly legal, and while no one knows for sure how many are in the US, a guy who's imported most of them says likely less than 15. A little bit of interior work to start (new front seats, new head unit, deep clean) and maybe an exterior paint job in the future (tan) and I'll drive it until 2035 when I can bring in a 79 series.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    As of right now, he's going to sell it to me. We've agreed on the price after a long phone conversation a while ago. I hope it goes to plan and I have it in NC in the coming weeks.

My dream truck is a 79 series factory dual cab. Imported trucks have to be 25+ years old, so I won't be getting one of those until 2035 if I remember right. This is #2 on the dream list. Perfectly legal, and while no one knows for sure how many are in the US, a guy who's imported most of them says likely less than 15. A little bit of interior work to start (new front seats, new head unit, deep clean) and maybe an exterior paint job in the future (tan) and I'll drive it until 2035 when I can bring in a 79 series.
    Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    I’ve bought a bunch of Rovers from people that I have never laid eyes on.....including Oregon, California, Michigan and the UK.

I usually just work out a 50% payment.......then a copy of the signed title......then the vehicle ships and I pay the balance. I’ve not been screwed yet.

If it’s over $15K-$20K, I’d get my ass on a plane and do the deal in person. $1000 on a ticket is chump change when you are talking about a large purchase.
    same here- anything over $15k and id fly out and do it in person. fly home and get it shipped back. Had a deal over the phone on a D110 and upon checking it in person came to find out it had a gray market title. I know of one individual in Virginia who has brought in containers of dismantled Rovers from old Series to newer Defenders. Lots of LHD new model 90's and 110's driving around with 1970's titles.
    Last edited by bitesize; 05-15-2020 at 02:48 PM.

I would think that happens a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    same here- anything over $15k and id fly out and do it in person. fly home and get it shipped back. Had a deal over the phone on a D110 and upon checking it in person came to find out it had a gray market title. I know of one individual in Virginia who has brought in containers of dismantled Rovers from old Series to newer Defenders. Lots of LHD new model 90's and 110's driving around with 1970's titles.
    Yep, market is flooded with grey market trucks. Just about the time you get it to the point you’re in love with it, they come and seize it. You have to be very careful buying cars and trucks that were never North American Spec. Just because it has a title, does not make it legal.