Thread: Trey Gowdy condemns government overreach during pandemic

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Trey Gowdy condemns government overreach during pandemic

'Where does it stop?': Trey Gowdy condemns government overreach during pandemic response

Former federal prosecutor Trey Gowdy condemned what he described as vast government overreach in response to the coronavirus pandemic, during a conversation with former Gov. Mike Huckabee on Fox News on Friday. "The greater the freedom you infringe, the more compelling the reason has to be," Gowdy said. "So, if I'm going to imprison you or fine you for not wearing a mask, why can't I hold you down and vaccinate you against the flu this fall? I mean, you don't want the flu and COVID-19, so can I involuntarily vaccinate you? Can I show up at your house and make sure you're doing your burpees and your planks and your jumping jacks because obesity and COVID-19 don't go well together? Where does it stop?" "For government to be able to impinge on a freedom, or infringe on a freedom, there has to be a rational basis and sometimes a compelling reason," said Gowdy. "So if I'm going to tell you, governor, that you can't go visit your mom, that's a fundamental right that you have, so the reason I offer to keep you from doing that has to be incredibly compelling. It has to be more than just the governor of Michigan thinks it's a good idea."

Gowdy said people are "sacrificial" in nature and are willing to abide by reasonable regulations instilled by the government but said lawmakers go too far when they forbid the right to see family members in an effort to stave off the coronavirus. "I get encouraging people not to go see those that are vulnerable," continued Gowdy. "But asking me not to go see my mom is very different from telling me that I'm forbidden on penalty of law from going to see my mom. And that's what has the protesters and others — I'm not a protester, but I want government to explain to me, if I'm going to infringe on your freedoms, it's for a compelling reason." Gowdy then noted that people in the United States have the right to practice "civil disobedience" if their constitutional rights are undermined by public officials.

Gowdy backed Attorney General William Barr's handling of the crisis and suggested Barr would uphold constitutional rights as government officials navigate unforeseen territory. "If I tell you that you have to wear something in public, there has to be a rational basis for that," added Gowdy. "Barr is smart enough to know that, and he'll put the power of the federal government and grants for those states and municipalities who don't want to go along, with the power of the purse and the power to go to court."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=KOexVu9Ou50
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

He's right

Trey Gowdy for Pres.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

I second that.

HOAX 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's loudmouth do nothing. What is one thing he did in Congress but get a gig onfox?
    Bluetick

True. I like the guy but for all his grandstanding he never did much except make conservatives feel good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk