Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zeiss, Nikon, etc. v Leupold rifle scope

Found a used VXiii for $375 in good condition.....what do ya think? VXIII on old gun has done me right so far...then maybe instead of upgrading, i can get new shotgun.....or bow.......sounds good to me.......

I'd buy it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I have had leupold vx III and nikon golds and both are decent mid-range scopes in the $500-$800 range. In my opinion nikon is clearer and the better buy. Having said that the only scopes that I own now with the exception of my rimfire guns are Kahle, Swarovski and Zeiss. You definitely get what you pay for. In my opinion and experiece Zeiss is the best scope you can buy (but have never hunted w/schmidt & bender). The clarity and light gathering ability of european scopes is unmatched. Kahles does not get much publicity but is an awesome scope and a very, very close second to swarovski and zeiss. Most do not know they were bought buy swarovski years ago for their lense coatings. The only problem with buying one of the three scopes I have mentioned is that you have to buy a good pair of binoculars as well. Swarovski is the top dog there imho.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Probly getting the vxIII for now....would like to upgrade to Zeiss or Swarovski sometime, gotta get a few raises first.....

I looked through a Swarovski American-series scope tonight and was REALLY impressed. Under a grand.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I just spent the last hour as the light faded looking through three scopes:

1. 3x10x42mm x 1" tube 'A' Habicht Swarovski

2. 2.5x10x40mm x 1" tube Bushnell Elite 4200 w/Rainguard

3. 2.5x10x50mm x 30mm tube Bushnell Elite 4200 w/Rainguard and Illuminated Dot Reticle

Sunset was at 8:34pm and at that time scope #3 was the brightest, sharpest, and had the best color, and I'd say that #1 and #2 were tied with each other.

By 9pm, scopes #1 and #2 had caught up and it appeared to be a 3 way tie for the most part. I was looking from my deck into the dark woods at about 100 yds away and after about 9:10pm I was unable to clearly delineate the 8" pine tree trunk that I'd been looking at.

Scope #1, the Swarovski, had the widest FOV by a few yards and that makes it appear brighter, but in reality I'm not sure it really is.

The Illuminated Dot reticle on scope #3 was nice and only needed/wanted setting #1 out of 10 and it would have been quite handy to place the dot on a deer shoulder as it got dark.

Keep in mind that your eyes might gain more difference between the scopes as I have trouble optimizing the focus in low light and it flattens some of the differences between the scopes.

I need to get my hands on a 50mm x 30mm tube Kahles scope to compare these again.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 08-01-2008 at 10:07 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Also forgot to mention all three scopes have 30mm tubes and 56 objectives with the exception of the swarovski having a 50.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Love my 3.5-10x50mm Nikon Monarch. Clear and bright

walt, loved my monarch too! I wish they offered a thicker reticle, it dissapears quick.

Anyone directly compared 4200 to meostar?

I own a VXII and VXIII, as well as a Zeiss, Nikon, and Kahles. The 56 mm Kahles and the Zeiss (the old 52mm before they started making the Walmart version) are far superior to the 50mm Nikon. The 50mm Leopold VXIII is good, but not as good, as the Kahles and Zeiss, but definitely worth the money at half the price of the others.
    Carolina Counsel