Thread: Food Plot Question???

Default Food Plot Question???

I am new to planting food plots. I have my areas plowed and I am ready to plant. What are good things to plant for this time of year. What are some things I can or can't spray round-up on. Any advice would be very helpfull?
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by scdukcaller; 06-01-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    Team Echo!<br />2004, 05, 06 SC State Duck Calling Champion

have you had a soil test done yet? That will let you know how much lime and fert you will need to put down to have a productive food plot. You can spray round up on round up ready soy-beans and round up ready corn.

I've always been a fan of cow pea's and soybeans. You can still get some spring and summer mixes from your local feed and grain store that has a variety of different seeds in them.

mix cowpeas, soybeans, and a little milo.

Bio-Maxx makes a round-up ready Corn and Soybeans.
    "Fun hipster shit is just poor Latino shit from 10 years ago"

what kind of soil? any weed problems?

round up seeds are nice. you can buy them separately and mix yourself. cheaper that way.

if weeds not really an issue, you could think about a pre-emergent herbicide like trifluralin and plant a peas/beans mix. add milo if you want to be cool like SW.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

milo just gets you another week or 2 outta that mix.

soybeans and corn..for RR, as stated above. mix together and get some extra forage when the beans climb the corn. If you are planting a good size area anyway.....

You need to get a soil test to see how much lime/Fert. you will need. Also you need to lime ASAP. If you are in the upstate with all the clay BS you can usually count on spreading 2tons/acre. It takes about 6months for the lime to work, if you are wanting to plant spring/summer stuff you can buy some liquid lime (PH Gain) and spray the food plot with that for the first season it helps plants take up Fert. since the lime won't help for a while. I would recommend biomax (corn/soybean mix). It is pretty cheap, easy to plant and can be sprayed with roundup. you don't have to have a planter for this, it can be broadcast, but is easier to spray if you've got it in rows. That is just my 2cents there are a lot of other things you can plant that work great too.

If it don't start raining soon, it won't matter what you plant cause it ain't going to grow