View Poll Results: R you willing increase gas tax by phasing in a 10 cent increase over 5 years?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 15.53%
  • No

174 84.47%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Gas Tax Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    There is serious funding trouble ahead.
    good. Its time to learn to do more with less. The entire country had to do it after 9/11.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The counties get a cut out of gas tax. The state has provided extra money in recent years to the counties out of the general fund. Those roads are currently on a 100 year repaving schedule.

DOT commissioners and Haleys appointed director have prioritized the remaining roads based on primarily condition of road and traffic. Current state money is going to these highways. The recent 2 billion dollar bond bill went towards the worst 5 interstate problems in the state. Often there is federal funds to match.

Why would we stop resurfacing?
    Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    I agree and wondering the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    The real question is why would you resurface simply because the road's turn has come up. Prime example is hwy 301 from Black River to Manning. Bridge in Black River has been out since flood of 2015 yet road was resurfaced. The road was not full of potholes yet it did have a few grooves and rough spots in it. The repaving simply made the road darker in color but the grooved and rough spots still remain. Many examples of what appear to be waste and fraud and just plain stupidity have been pointed out. Why not give the people who pointed these things out a call and go see for yourself what they are talking about. Then if in good conscience you can say that no changes need to be made in how "our" money is being handled then fine.
    Well DT have you started checking into the examples provided to you by the citizens?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    horribly misleading info. You suck at math, in a big way. Dont try to "sell" me on a new tax by telling me we dont spend money on roads. I wanna say "nice try" but it wasnt even that....
    Misleading info based on what? I'm assuming you have other reports you can present that debunk the fact that SC is #1 in cost-effectiveness? Thanks for your broad statements, as usual.

I suck at math? How so? When you have the 3rd lowest gas tax rate and the 4th largest highway infrastructure, you tell me how that math works, dentite.
    :FYT:

DOT commissioners and Haleys appointed director have prioritized the remaining roads based on primarily condition of road and traffic.
    Since Haley is no longer the governor will her sitting appointed director of SCDOT remain or will McMaster toss her out? Can he toss her out does he have to let her finish her term?

Found this while looking for other information.
    http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/cpd...Conference.pdf
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 01-26-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

The answer is NOT more, more, more, more! Remember the simple statement, "No taxation with representation", pretty simple statement really that stated the primary grievance of the American colonists in the Thirteen Colonies, which was one of the major causes of the American Revolution. Taxes are simply out of hand, fix the people and you fix the problem!
    "run and gun guide service"

Quote Originally Posted by dox08 View Post
    The answer is NOT more, more, more, more! Remember the simple statement, "No taxation with representation", pretty simple statement really that stated the primary grievance of the American colonists in the Thirteen Colonies, which was one of the major causes of the American Revolution. Taxes are simply out of hand, fix the people and you fix the problem!
    No, I don't recall that one from history class. I do recall the one that says "No taxation withOUT representation".

I wish I could call the companies that I deal with to tell them that they have to pay me more money because I wasn't fiscally responsible for the last however many years.

or be like ecubuttpirate and tell them they have the most "cost effective" accounts because you havent done shit for them

or be like ecubuttpirate and tell them they have the most "cost effective" accounts because you havent done shit for them
    Still waiting for you to explain the misleading info I presented and how I suck at math.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUPirate View Post
    Still waiting for you to explain the misleading info I presented and how I suck at math.
    simply put, those stats are misleading by showing how little money has been spent on sc roads. thereby classifying them as "cost effective."

Please, dear God, let him understand this....because, if he doesnt, I cant dumb it down any more for him.

Amen.

simply put, those stats are misleading by showing how little money has been spent on sc roads. thereby classifying them as "cost effective."

Please, dear God, let him understand this....because, if he doesnt, I cant dumb it down any more for him.

Amen.
    Not sure what cost-effectiveness means in the dentist world, but out here in the real world it's the degree in which something is effective or productive relative to it's cost. My original comment was to those who were complaining about how "wasteful" SCDOT is, yet they're #1 in the nation in cost-effectiveness. How are you wasteful and cost-effective at the same time?

You're saying they've spent very little while others are saying they're wasteful. Which one is it?

Also, going back to your comment about "selling you on a new tax". Are you saying it's sustainable to maintain the 4th largest highway infrastructure in the nation with the lowest revenue?
    Last edited by ECUPirate; 02-01-2017 at 09:14 AM.

its cheaper to patch than to fix.

they patched.

they didnt fix.

they wasted money on patches.

Got it?

There was a saying that was popular back in the 70's .... "Ass, gas, or grass, nobody rides for free". Our roads are shit. If you don't believe it, drive some secondary roads in NC and see how much better they are than ours. It's like the frog that's been put in the pot of cool water and then slowly heated up. He doesn't know he's in trouble until the water is lethally hot. That's where we are headed now. I hate tax increases as much as the next person, but, between the decay of our roads and the dicked up management of the retirement system, SC is headed down a dark path.

It's time to bump the taxes up. Taxes DO serve a purpose, and infrastructure is a key need we can't get around. That's just my 2 cents.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    There was a saying that was popular back in the 70's .... "Ass, gas, or grass, nobody rides for free". Our roads are shit. If you don't believe it, drive some secondary roads in NC and see how much better they are than ours. It's like the frog that's been put in the pot of cool water and then slowly heated up. He doesn't know he's in trouble until the water is lethally hot. That's where we are headed now. I hate tax increases as much as the next person, but, between the decay of our roads and the dicked up management of the retirement system, SC is headed down a dark path.

It's time to bump the taxes up. Taxes DO serve a purpose, and infrastructure is a key need we can't get around. That's just my 2 cents.
    A Tax increase will not solve a dang thing until you fix the underlying problem. Once that problem is fixed you want need a tax increase.

Headline from Drudge this morning. This should disturb everyone.

$1,084,840,000,000: Taxes Set Record Through January; $7,133 Per Worker; Feds Still Run Deficit of $156,939,000,000
    Last edited by Mars Bluff; 02-13-2017 at 08:18 AM.