Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First hunt for youngin' tips

Quote Originally Posted by ktownduckhunter View Post
    Do him like my dad did me, tell him to sit down, shut up, and tell him if you make a noise I'll slap the shit out of you.
    This. Not sure why people think children have to be entertained all the time. Hunting can also be a lesson in patience, self control, and just plain maturing. In the end don't over do it by staying too long.

Quote Originally Posted by hunting_jim View Post
    Cell phone with lots of games downloaded.
    Please, Please, please delete this post before 2th sees it.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I have some advice for you...pay attention, soak it in, and burn each minute into your brain housing group. You only get so many of these chances and they are gone before you blink. They are some of the best moments a dad can have with his child. Enjoy!

Once, when my son was 4, I took him with me and an 8pt came out that I never would have shot, but I would have left that stand with broken ribs if I hadn't. It was a great morning that I will never forget. In the picture you can see the smug look on his face. To him, HE had as much part in it as I...and he did.
    I agree. The time goes by so fast, but the memories are so good. The little rack on the right is the first buck I ever killed with my son in the stand. It came out, and the boy was frantic for me to kill it because he had never been with me when I killed one. So I did, and he was ecstatic. Fast forward to last Friday. He had to come home from college for a doctor's appointment, and wanted to go hunting. I took off work and when we got to the woods, he asked if we could sit together in the stand like we did when he was a kid, and I gladly accepted. The little 5 on the left came out just before dark, and having no meat in the freezer, and not having been able to hunt at all this year, he chose to take him. Same stand, both 135 lb 5 points, if you hold them together you can hardly tell them apart. Killed 12 years apart. Talk about coming full circle. Sharing that kind of moment with your child is worth more than any trophy you might kill by yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My dad used to let me and my brother carry Red Ryder's with us to the stand. When we were old enough to read he always brought plenty of magazines or books to keep us entertained as well as our own binoculars. There are several young 8 points that he never would have shot if I wasn't with him but it made for life long memories.

Another thing is if I wanted to go hunting or fishing he never said no, if he was going he knew I was going with him. Now he probably wishes I would stay home more and not kill all "his" deer.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 10-27-2016 at 01:06 PM.

My boy loves to use my grunt call and rattling bag. It makes him feel like he's part of the hunt and I frankly don't think it hurts anything.
    Carolina Counsel

Take some M&Ms
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    I agree. The time goes by so fast, but the memories are so good. The little rack on the right is the first buck I ever killed with my son in the stand. It came out, and the boy was frantic for me to kill it because he had never been with me when I killed one. So I did, and he was ecstatic. Fast forward to last Friday. He had to come home from college for a doctor's appointment, and wanted to go hunting. I took off work and when we got to the woods, he asked if we could sit together in the stand like we did when he was a kid, and I gladly accepted. The little 5 on the left came out just before dark, and having no meat in the freezer, and not having been able to hunt at all this year, he chose to take him. Same stand, both 135 lb 5 points, if you hold them together you can hardly tell them apart. Killed 12 years apart. Talk about coming full circle. Sharing that kind of moment with your child is worth more than any trophy you might kill by yourself.
    Good stuff right there. Better than any trophy indeed.

Leave the games, phones, candy etc at home. Teach them to enjoy the outdoors not to occupy themselves with stuff like that when they are there.... You want to take him hunting, take him hunting, you want to play games and eat candy sit on the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So, do you buy your women too, or just your ducks?

Quote Originally Posted by ktownduckhunter View Post
    Leave the games, phones, candy etc at home. Teach them to enjoy the outdoors not to occupy themselves with stuff like that when they are there.... You want to take him hunting, take him hunting, you want to play games and eat candy sit on the couch

I’ve taken my 3 year old several times this year and he has been great, bring snacks and drinks. He knows when we pull in the club and since first time there he knows we whisper, which he picked up quick. He has only broke out once when a hog jumped out right by the stand and he yelled “daddy pig”.
    He knows if I say “buck”, get out my lap, I threw the poor fella in the floor 3 times one morning when a decent buck would hit the road.
    He has a pair of cheap binos he likes to bring, besides that can’t offer much more, he’s been pretty good ever since I took him duck hunting at 2 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

You taking crazy pills if you think i am not bringing candy... Now if there was only a thread on which flavor m&ms to bring

JJ1965, man that is good story.

Candy, cell phone, whatever the kid wants to make him want to go. Then throw in some hunting stuff with it and teach what they are for. Range finder, binoculars, grunt calls, doe cans, rattle bags, etc. My son is 10 and he and I still pack candy and drinks with him. He shot a total of 3 deer two weekends ago (his first 3 ever) and each time there was candy in his lap.

I personally think the noise made from a chip bag is 10x louder to you than it is to anything outside of the stand. I saw a total of 8 deer two weeks ago. I saw 3 of them climbing into or out of the stand and they were not spooked. I had a doe at 20 yds for over 10 min and I packed up my bag, zipped it up and unloaded my rifle without her running off. Heck, she only looked up at me once through it all. She didn't leave until I started climbing down a 20' ladder.

My oldest is 5 and is going on her 3rd season. We take drinks and goldfish. This past season i left her bring her Ipad with learning games(she might have played it 10 mins) and a coloring book for if she got bored. Our shortest sit since she started was 3-1/2 hours and she was pissed when it was time to leave at dark. Shes making a hell of a tracker and itching to get behind the gun. Shes gunna have to grow some before that tho. Take them as much as possible and when they are ready to leave dont be mad whether its 10 mins or 4 hours. My 3 year old daughter is up to go this weekend on her first hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Take some M&Ms
    must be Peanut M&Ms, proven deer attractant too