Thread: Rubs and Scrapes

Default Rubs and Scrapes

Now that we know when the upstate rut is in full swing, let's talk about rubs and scrapes.

The question is, how many of you see a scrape or rub in the same spot, year after year? I mean for so long that there is no possible way that it is continually made by the same buck.

I hunted the farm this morning and on the way out I went and checked a spot for two scrapes. Sure enough they were there. There is a roadbed that runs along the dam of a dried up pond. On the other side it drops off into what we call the "oak holler". Every year for as long as I can remember, there are two scrapes about 15, apart. One is under a low hanging white oak branch and the other is on the opposite side by the pond in front of the same scrubby pine tree. Ive seen the same two scaes in the same two places every year since I was old enough to know what a scrape is. Usually the pine tree has a rub on it but not this year, at least not yet.

I hunt multiple properties and will see scrapes in the same general areas year to year, but nowhere else do I see them in the exact same spot.

Is this something the rest of y'all see?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

put a camera on it

I have hunted the same piece of property for 10 years, and there are two places where there is always a scrape. Both on the back edge of a thicket under low hanging holly limbs. The scrapes are always about the size of a breakfast table, and the limbs above are always torn and chewed up.

I've seen a scrape under the same holly tree every year since I was 7 or 8. Two 6 1/2+ year old bucks were killed near it over the last few years. When the bucks were killed that scrape wasn't touched until the next year. One was killed by my dad in 2011 and one by me in 2014. It's kind of like how a gobbler will act the same as a bird 5 years before his time on the same property. Nature is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    put a camera on it
    I would, but I no longer own a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I would, but I no longer own a camera.
    I have started using my cameras around my house to figure out which of my neighbors' kids are running across my lawn. Its a lot more fun than not seeing all of those monster bucks that aren't eating my corn.

Natures not weird the animal you are hunting uses his instincts. These instincts for the most part are the same. There is a reason that bird or deer was doing in then and as long as the habitat does not change another one will do the same. It's the same reason your go to stand is always productive. It's not rocket science. Like has already been said they eat drink and fuck that's it or do something that help them achieve those goals.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    I have started using my cameras around my house to figure out which of my neighbors' kids are running across my lawn. Its a lot more fun than not seeing all of those monster bucks that aren't eating my corn.
    I had the same one for 4years and it crapped out on me in September. I bought a new one and it gave me nothing but trouble from day 1. I returned it and will start over next year.

Same reason you can clear cut 2000 acres and the trail they walk on remains the same path.

i'll send you a camera. PM me your address.

deer scrape the same area bc they live in the same area....and likely travel the same routes. roadbeds on pond dams are a good example.

i am a believer in the rub that is simply put there BECAUSE its visible. I'm sure mossy oak tecomate max has already coined a term for that. As for scrapes, its pretty much the same scenario and many are used as a "communal" scrape. Those are great places to put a camera. seriously. PM me
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Same reason you can clear cut 2000 acres and the trail they walk on remains the same path.
    This right here!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    I take mine off of my cornpiles after bow season, all they seem to do is discourage me. I have better luck putting them on scrape lines or old logging roads.