Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pole building question

Throwing this out there, I know of a pole barn that is about 12 years old that the post are rotting from the inside out. Treated 6x6, not sure if the contractor set them on blocks before pouring the concrete in hole but the owner is looking at some major cost as it is a two story barn with living space on the second floor.

Salty, when those buildings were priced the footings were not inlucded in the quote from the builder but I added them for our comparison. 2' pilings w/ rebar 6' deep with sonotube form at the top.

Just to throw this out there, I had mine quoted before building both ways.

1. Steel is nice. Therefore, it costs more. However, it was significantly more.

2. Pole buildings are easy. You can do it yourself if you need to. Much more for your money and will outlast your lifetime easily.

Apples to apples, I came out north of $10-15k cheaper with a pole building.

I graded it myself and had a buddy pour the concrete. So, there is some savings there. But, like Salty said, when legitimate footers and steel comes in along with the bolts and all, it gets pricey in a hurry to go the steel route.

In my experience, when folks tell you that steel is cheaper, they mean it's a better option for longevity. There's just no way it's less expensive.

For the record, my shop is 40'x50' enclosed with 12 sheds on the ends and a 12' lean to across the back. 3' overhang over the (3x) 12'x12' doors across the front. Slab on grade w/ typical 6"x6" pole construction and a truss framed roof. Metal all over.

Tee did quote me a slightly bigger shop to start with, but my budget wouldn't allow for that and I started downsizing. But, like I said, apples to apples, I came out in the black with the pole building.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!