Thread: Flounder giggin

Folks, I'm wanting to try my hand at gigging flounder. I know there used to be a boat ramp in Beaufort but I don't know if there are flounder there or if I can actually beat my way through the mass yankee migration there to get to the boat ramp.

If someone would be kind enough to post up where I may a: locate some flounder and b: has a boat ramp at least nearby.

I ain't asking for any honey holes just a general area. Brothers coming into town and neither of us has ever tried this before. Any constructive advice would be appreciated.
    \"And behold, a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.\"

Don't know of any landings down that away but a few tips.
    1. Darker the night the better giggin
    2. If you find baitfish flounder will be near.
    3. White sand is not all that great, they will lay on oysters, rocks, mud, not just sand.
    4. 3 hours before and 3 hours after high tide are best times, 2 preferably.
    5. If you not seeing anything move, they can be here but not there in a matter of minutes.
    6. Quite generators are the way to go.
    7. Size limit is now 14in, not 12.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Two ways to gig flounder.

One is to walk, the other is out of a boat. there is a third but ya'll aint diving.

If you are gigging out of a boat, make sure it is aluminum or something that is comparably light. It is a muther to try and push pole a heavy fiberglass boat around...

If walking, a lawnmower battery and a long stringer is needed. (sharks feed actively at night and it is best to have the fish not hanging around your ankles) If you opt out of the stringer, a cooler on an inner tube also works to transport your goodies.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Thanks for the advice. We are going to be using my aluminum jon, yeller dog's old boat, to gig from. I'm going over to the motorcycle salvage yard in West Columbia to see if I can get a few older headlights from them and fab up a rack to put them on the front of the boat. We're going to use 12 volt baterries out of robots for power. Once I have the amp draw from the lights I can figure out how long the batteries will last, shooting for at least 4 hours.

One other question. I know that in order to use my gas engine in salt water I need to flush in fresh water once we are done. What do I need to do with my trolling motor? I was hoping to have it as a back up in case I cant get the hang of poling as I've never done that either.
    \"And behold, a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.\"

Be certain of the length before you gig him. If it's too small, he won't live anyway. So you've then wasted a fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

Kwaker,

Dont re-invent the wheel and make it harder than it is. also...you can see better with the lights under the water than glaring off the top...they make some nice submersible lights for around $50 apiece...

Flushing the motor is always a good thing. I usually just back in the boat landing at the river, (fresh water) and crank it up. Keep the trolling motor well oiled and wash it down with the garden hose.

You will do much better to pole...use the wind and the tides to your advantage...dont work against them. Motor from flat to flat...spot to spot.

DH is right about the size of the flounder...if in doubt...dont stick him.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

You bought Yeller Dawgs boat? I have some land east of Charleston for you.

When you need a new one, Squatty420 has one for sale. When you want a real one, see Saltynut.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Yeah rp, we already had this conversation. Remember Barstow landing?

I found another boat for lake hunting/fishing. A 14.5' Falcon (fiberglass), with that Merc 25 gps'd at 33.2mph with me and fishing gear.The slight v hull gives it a nice smooth and dry ride. I found an old trolling motor mount which I took apart and cleaned/repainted and mounted up front with a 50lb tiller trolling motor. I don't think I'm going to make a blind for it, just cover with burlap and hunt from the bank like y'all were doing.

Right now i"m flipping the 25 back and forth between the boats but looking for a used longtail or 15 horse or smaller short shaft outboard so if someone knows of one speak up. I plan to put the blind back on it and use it for river hunting and fishing.