Thread: BakBar wins $800,839

Bak Bar wins 49th 'Big Rock
    Bruce Paul, Media Director
    June 16, 2007

Bak Bar made last call at the 49th annual Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament’s weigh station Friday, weighing in a 613-pounder to win $800,839 from the event’s $1,568,950 purse.

Bak Bar captain Tommy Lewis, Huger, S.C., reached Morehead City just after 11 p.m. with a blue marlin that his son, Montukie, needed nearly six hours to land. Fifteen hours later, when no bigger fish were caught during the final hours of fishing, the Bak Bar crew began an after-hours celebration.

The Bak Bar win almost didn’t happen. Bak Bar’s blue marlin got tail wrapped and died near the bottom of the ocean four hours into the fight. For the next two hours, Montukie Lewis had to carefully reeled in the dead giant. He couldn’t set the drag too tight in rough seas or reel too fast for fear of breaking the line.

“It was dead weight with a big fish at the very bottom ,” the younger Lewis said. “It was rough out there. I had to give back as much (line) as I took. I didn’t make much headway for a long time. I had to find a happy medium … but I only got tired at the end.”

Once the fish was in the boat, Lewis wasn’t tired at all. The entire Bak Bar crew knew they had the potential winner.

“We knew (the fish) was longer than the others,” Lewis said. “It’s a good one … a big fish. This is my happiest day. It feels great to be in this position.”

Lewis’s catch was an early Father’s Day present for his dad. Ironically, all five blue marlin brought to the Big Rock scales Friday were reportedly caught by father-son teams.

"Montukie" Wonder how he came up with that? Anyone know?